Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Regular Contributor
gino_76ph
My Device: 9300
My Carrier: T-mobile (UK)

Playbook questions from new user

Hiya i'm planning on buying a new tablet but i'm stuck between an Android and the new Playbook. i have some questions that i want to ask to convince me that its worth investing on your new tablet:

1. does it fully support Divx and AVI files?

Iy Yes then will it play it "natively"?

If No then what app can i download in order to play them?

2. does it have GPS?

If No then will i still be able to find a restaurant or the nearest train station if i'm in Italy hotel with wifi?

3. does it have the same music player features and options as with the Torch i.e. audio boos, preset EQ's, etc.?

does it have Dolby Mobile or SRS? or can i edit a preset EQ to my liking?

4. can i create a playlist, edit the playlist name and add songs to that playlist on-the-fly without the use of a software?

5. on the home screens can i add apps or widgets or shortcuts on-the-fly? like adding Angry Birds under Games or BBC News under News?

6. how will i know if the apps i have or want to download are specific to the Playbook?  and

will ordinary apps work for the tablet in fullscreen?

7. is the Playbook DLNA compliant?

if Yes then can i stream my files onto a compatible device?

If No then how can i view them on my TV in fullscreen? and will it be in 1080p resolution?

8. can i use any 3rd-party apps in chatting with my friends and realtives like with Skype or Qik?

9. can i transfer files via bluetooth to any bt-enabled device?

10. does it have a Adobe and/or PDF document reader?

11. does it have an MS office or alternative office document viewer? if yes then what alternative or app can i use?

12. does it do tab browsing? and does it support downloading from a website e.g. downloading a photo to make it as a wallpaper?

13. does it do bluetooth tethering to another smartphone (Android) for 3G/HSDPA internet surfing?

14. can you connect it to any bluetooth-enabled speakers or headphones?

15. im a sucker for games. Playbook does game? and tablet-specific games only for the Playbook?

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
grissom
My Device: Tour alarm clock
My Carrier: nada

Re: Playbook questions from new user

I'm sure by now you realize the common answer to your questions is a big fat phrase..."NO. It does not do that"
From an Apple or Android device
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
chrispycrunch
My Device: Z10, Playbook 32GB
My Carrier: Rogers

I've had a playbook since launch. Here is my experience so far.

Hiya i'm planning on buying a new tablet but i'm stuck between an Android and the new Playbook. i have some questions that i want to ask to convince me that its worth investing on your new tablet:

1. does it fully support Divx and AVI files? [YES]

Iy Yes then will it play it "natively"?

If No then what app can i download in order to play them?

2. does it have GPS? [YES but only works some of the time - OS update will fix this]

If No then will i still be able to find a restaurant or the nearest train station if i'm in Italy hotel with wifi?

3. does it have the same music player features and options as with the Torch i.e. audio boos, preset EQ's, etc.?

does it have Dolby Mobile or SRS? or can i edit a preset EQ to my liking?

[Speakers are Stereo; Has basic music player features and playlist support - i do not use it much. I don't see EQ]

4. can i create a playlist, edit the playlist name and add songs to that playlist on-the-fly without the use of a software?

[ not sure]

5. on the home screens can i add apps or widgets or shortcuts on-the-fly? like adding Angry Birds under Games or BBC News under News?

[Add apps via app world - yes]

6. how will i know if the apps i have or want to download are specific to the Playbook?  and

will ordinary apps work for the tablet in fullscreen?

[All apps via app world - all are full screen]

7. is the Playbook DLNA compliant?

if Yes then can i stream my files onto a compatible device?

If No then how can i view them on my TV in fullscreen? and will it be in 1080p resolution?

[don't know]

8. can i use any 3rd-party apps in chatting with my friends and realtives like with Skype or Qik?

[Video Chat for Playbook; Rumor is it will have support for this but we have yet to see it out]

9. can i transfer files via bluetooth to any bt-enabled device?

[Transfer via wi-fi file share to your network, via USB pc. BT transfer only to bb phone i think]

10. does it have a Adobe and/or PDF document reader?

[yes]

11. does it have an MS office or alternative office document viewer? if yes then what alternative or app can i use?

[yes - word to go, etc]

12. does it do tab browsing? and does it support downloading from a website e.g. downloading a photo to make it as a wallpaper?

[yes. Yes you can download pics and files]

13. does it do bluetooth tethering to another smartphone (Android) for 3G/HSDPA internet surfing?

[No. BB Phone only]

14. can you connect it to any bluetooth-enabled speakers or headphones?

[Yes. Does not output the sound though!]]

15. im a sucker for games. Playbook does game? and tablet-specific games only for the Playbook?

[Yes. See App world] NFS need for speed and tetris included for free]

-----------
Chris --- http://www.twitter.com/chrispycrunch
-----------
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
grissom

cant create multiple playlists, games are at best bright, but as far as enjoyable....no, if no sound is coming through bluetooth speakers whats the point, so would that be a no. my ipod sees my tab, BB phone, and PB, but there is no interaction....get it? dont sugarcoat the awful truth...written with my PB, no auto cap, download....not during this session. this is a travesty on BB's part!!!!! there is a file browser that cant be downloaded in appworld
Please use plain text.
Developer
ugoano
My Device: BlackBerry Playbook
My Carrier: Vodafone

chrispycrunch wrote:

I've had a playbook since launch. Here is my experience so far.

[No. BB Phone only]

The first thing I did with my Playbook yesterday was wifi tethering to my Google Nexus (Android) running on 3G for internet surfing... no problems there...

---------
Developing Tony Stark's JARVIS System which we call the CYMAN System on the mac ... an app for it coming soon on the BlackBerry Playbook too!

If I've been able to help in any way, credit your friendly neighborhood developer $0.02 worth of kudos!
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
gino_76ph
My Device: 9300
My Carrier: T-mobile (UK)

I'm actually choosing between the Playbook (Wifi) and the Galaxy tab (Wifi). so not sure on some answers.

i have a few more questions though:

1.  can you rearrange apps on-the-fly?

2. up to how many "windows" can it multitask?

3. how do i update the software? FOTA or via PC software?

4. how about the warranty? and what does it cover?

5. can it connect to a TV wired and output videos or games or music in full screen and/or in 1080p?

6. can the camera record in 720p or 1080p?

7. can you delete an app on-the-fly? (like what an Android device can)

8. what are the camera features?

9. can you download any 3rd-party browser?

10. is there a way to kill or stop an app from running or loading?

* like a shortcut or a "kill switch"

11. is it that easy to change the wall paper? and are there any "Live" wallpapers? 

(like what an Android device can do)

12. does it "remembers" the nearby wifi and logs itslef in automatically?

13. how's the battery life? i see multitasking skills on a tablet would mean less battery life?

* i could be wrong.

14. when viewing an Office document can you edit it? does it have full copy and paste functionality?

15. any Swype functionality on the keypad?

16. how about Google services? are they all present in there?

17. any microSD card slot? is it covered? underneath the battery?

For me for now my "standard" is the Samsung Galaxy Tab for a 7" tablet.

I'll be mainly using my tablet for basic emails (Gmail, Yahoo), basic News/Weather/gadget/tech/games/movies websites, basic Twitter, basic Youtube, downloading apps (of course!), Google services (such as Maps, Translate, Goggles, etc.), watching my Divx/AVI movies, saving/transferring files via bluetooth, wifi tethering and the odd reading & editing of documents.

what do you think guys? 

is the Playbook for me? or the Galaxy tab?

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
grissom

the galaxy tab...i have both. eventhough the PB will be a more powerful and better feeling galaxy tab in the next year..it does come down to...WHAT THE PB WILL BE i would underline will but word processing is not up to par with PB. it seems you already know how to navigate Android, PB has a better "feeling" internet experience, but other than that, mt Tab remembers passwords, my Tab has folders so accessable i can do damage to operating functions, my PB has preset folders that i have to pick from, AND THEN i am able to create my own folder, Tab syncs with my pc upon USB plug in, and if i fall asleep and my PC does too, i can turn my PC back on and my Tab will ask to sync again. with my PB i can only re-connect so my PC can detect it again. get the Tab. camera SHOULD be better on PB, but when i take pics of scematics..hands down Tab, plus Tab has flash for its camera, does Canada experience 24hrs of daylight like Alaska? and if so...flash for the camera would be good for the 24hrs of night... last but not least i will finish MY opinion from my tab...will be right back
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
grissom

Ok now on my Tab, mail seems to hit PB first, had to look for this thread. Rearranging apps is wish when it comes to PB, there are simply not enough apps yet, but yes both 7"ers do the app shuffle.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
grissom

I had an wonderful second half that got erased. Tab's internet is fragile erased everything, get the Tab, then get the 4g carrier playbook at the end of the year.
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

[ Edited ]

gino_76ph wrote:

I'm actually choosing between the Playbook (Wifi) and the Galaxy tab (Wifi). so not sure on some answers.

i have a few more questions though:

1.  can you rearrange apps on-the-fly? Not yet

2. up to how many "windows" can it multitask? I had 20 open

3. how do i update the software? FOTA or via PC software? OTA via wifi

4. how about the warranty? and what does it cover? most everything excetp accidental mishaps

5. can it connect to a TV wired and output videos or games or music in full screen and/or in 1080p? YES and soon 3d at 1080

6. can the camera record in 720p or 1080p? both 720 and 1080 is listed not sure if p or i

7. can you delete an app on-the-fly? (like what an Android device can) hold icon till it moves and click on delete.

8. what are the camera features? Zoom, stabilize fornt of rear mode

9. can you download any 3rd-party browser? I dont see one yet.

10. is there a way to kill or stop an app from running or loading?

* like a shortcut or a "kill switch" yes, swipe from bottom and click on x

11. is it that easy to change the wall paper? and are there any "Live" wallpapers? 

(like what an Android device can do) set photo set as walpaper. dont know about live

12. does it "remembers" the nearby wifi and logs itslef in automatically? Mine does remember everyone that I have been to so far.

13. how's the battery life? i see multitasking skills on a tablet would mean less battery life? mine has been great, charge over night, use during day, usually hav 30% left before going to bed. But I do use a PC a lot and my Torch.

* i could be wrong.

14. when viewing an Office document can you edit it? yes.

does it have full copy and paste functionality? dont know what you mean by full but it does do copy paste.

15. any Swype functionality on the keypad? i dont understand.

16. how about Google services? are they all present in there? I can access gmail so far.

17. any microSD card slot? is it covered? underneath the battery? no SD support but maybe via USB there might be some day. Also seagate came out with a wifi hard drive.

For me for now my "standard" is the Samsung Galaxy Tab for a 7" tablet.

I'll be mainly using my tablet for basic emails (Gmail, Yahoo), basic News/Weather/gadget/tech/games/movies websites, basic Twitter, basic Youtube, downloading apps (of course!), Google services (such as Maps, Translate, Goggles, etc.), watching my Divx/AVI movies, saving/transferring files via bluetooth, wifi tethering and the odd reading & editing of documents.

what do you think guys? 

is the Playbook for me? or the Galaxy tab?

PlayBook will run android apps soon and more stuff is coming.

I am staying with BlackBerry for security as no one else comes close. I have too much invested in my life to worry if my identity will be stolen or bank account will be depleted. I have seen too much go wrong with security on other tablets and smartphones lately.

Good luck with your choice. It isnt always an easy one these days with so many different options.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.