Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
tomtom87
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

Playbook says I currently have the latest software installed!

I go to the software updates section in settings and try and upgrade to the newest OS for playbook.  My playbook telling me I have the latest version when in reality I only have OS 2.0.1.358?  Any ideas?

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

Re: Playbook says I currently have the latest software installed!

358 is the latest, 668 was withdrawn.

My Device: playbook
My Carrier: T-mobile

what is the deal with Playbook?? does Blackberry realize that every other manufactured has released not stupid updates but actually newer devices with better OS?? they even make us wait for stupid updates???
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

spaniard65 wrote:
what is the deal with Playbook?? does Blackberry realize that every other manufactured has released not stupid updates but actually newer devices with better OS?? they even make us wait for stupid updates???

.668 wasn't stupid. It fixed several problems including updates to keep up with Microsoft fouling up mobile servers.

What was a bit silly was pulling it just because some people still on 1.0.x had problems updating. I still have 668 on one of my PBs and it is great.

Thank you for the quick response 

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1052; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: at&t

spaniard65 wrote:

There is a developer beta out that is working quite well.  I have it on two PlayBooks and have no issues.  Better Android app handling and battery life improved on each PlayBook with the update too.  It is technically a "beta" version but I've been happy with it for quite some time.  If you're interested just post back and I'll give you instructions on how to get it.

John

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
mikejones2509
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: none

jarviser wrote:What was a bit silly was pulling it just because some people still on 1.0.x had problems updating.

=========================================================

I am curious to know how you are able to find such info. Was there a news release saying this was so?

if so do you have a link?

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1052; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Nobody knows. RIM says it was pulled, however, if you already have it installed then there is no problem and users can stay on it. There were many who had issues upgrading to it so it's assumed the problem was in the upgrade process not the OS itself.

http://goodereader.com/blog/tablet-slates/rim-has-pulled-the-plug-on-the-playbook-os-2-0-1-668-updat...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tomtom87

John_Clark I would like the instructions for the beta version as long as it's not very complicated.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark

tomtom87 wrote:

John_Clark I would like the instructions for the beta version as long as it's not very complicated.

Not complicated at all. 

Before doing anything I recommend making a full backup using BDS before doing the update.  That way if you want to revert back to 2.0 you will have a backup that you can restore.  It also prevents data loss should the update fail and you have to reload the OS from scratch.  Also, do the update over wifi as opposed to via BDS and the USB cable.  I have done all my updates over wifi and have never lost data or had a problem with updates. 

Once you have made your backup simply go here and whitelist your device:

https://developer.blackberry.com/devzone/register

Then once that is done, connect your device to wifi, pull down the settings menu and check for updates.  You'll want to make sure you have at least 30% battery (I prefer a full battery) and leave the device connected to the charger throughout the update. 

Please use plain text.