Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
nigel_b
My Device: Playbook

Playbook screen faulty?

I've been having trouble with the screen on my 64GB Playbook.  When the tablet is switched on, the left-hand half of the screen is a lighter colour than the (deep black) right-hand half. Once the unit boots itself up, the resolution is terrible, and it looks as if there are tiny fine lines all over the screen. It is still touch-sensitive, and I can move around.  Also, when charging with the unit powered down, the screen lights up faintly, and this light stays on all the while the unit is plugged in.

Ideas anyone? Is this a hardware issue?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,957
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Playbook screen faulty?

Could be a hardware issue... but have you restarted the PlayBook (touch the upper right battery icon > Restart) or reloaded the Operating System, to determine if it is software?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
JSanders

I'd suggest then calling your PlayBook support number.

www.blackberry.com/playbook

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
nigel_b

Thanks, J - Yes, I have tried a restart (several, actually), and as soon as the unit powers back on, I can see the "left-hand-right-hand" split of the screen that's supposed to be black on startup, and I kjnow there's going to be a problem.  To be honest, it sounds like the screen has developed a fault, but I wanted to see if there was any history of this with Playbooks before I go the return-to-mfr route.

I haven't tried reinstalling the OS though - do you think that will help?  And can I do that without disturbing the rest of the files and photos on the unit?

Thanks for your help,

Nigel

Please use plain text.
JSanders

Of the issues with the Playbook, I have not seen what you mention.

I would recommend you try the fresh OS reload, it's not difficult, but it can be time consuming according to your size and memory used in the Playbook. I've outlined it below. As long as you backup, there is no chance of losing your pictures, etc., and all apps can be downloaded again from AppWorld > MyWorld.

You need to follow these instructions to "debrick" your PlayBook:
1. Do a backup of your PlayBook using your computer and BlackBerry Desktop Software version 7 installed. It can be downloaded from http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/desktop/
2. After the backup is finished, unplug the PlayBook and on the PlayBook press and hold down the power button until the unit forces the device off.
3. With the Desktop Software still open on your computer and the PlayBook powered off, connect the PlayBook to your computer once again.
4. You should see an error screen from Desktop Software popup with the options to Retry, Update, or Cancel.
Very quickly choose the Update option.
5. All information will on your PlayBook will be erased and a reload of the Software will commence to install on the PlayBook.
6. Once this is complete your PlayBook will go back through the initial (as if new) setup wizard (entering the BlackBerryID, etc., and then you can perform a restore using Desktop Software to return your personal data from the backup. Applications which you downloaded from AppWorld won't restore, but they can be easily reinstalled using AppWorld > MyWorld section of AppWorld.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
nigel_b

Hi there:

Thanks so much for this informative and easy-to-follow reply.  I will do that later in the week; the (unfortunate ?) fact is that right now, my Playbook is acting quite normally and the screen seems fine.  Weird!  But I'll try your solution and let you knoa how it turns out.

Thanks again

Nigel

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mnelson104
My Device: Blackberry PlayBook 64GB

I have had a similar issue.  At first my PlayBook 64GB was running fine and then i started to notice the image would ghost when switching screens.  Most obvious is the "PlayBook" logo when booting up.  If i leave the screen static for a few minutes all the icons will leave their "mark".  Has anyone else had issues with image retention?  I have tried going back to factory conditions and the problem still persists.  Thanks for any help or advice anyone can give.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

mnelson104 wrote:

I have had a similar issue.  At first my PlayBook 64GB was running fine and then i started to notice the image would ghost when switching screens.  Most obvious is the "PlayBook" logo when booting up.  If i leave the screen static for a few minutes all the icons will leave their "mark".  Has anyone else had issues with image retention?  I have tried going back to factory conditions and the problem still persists.  Thanks for any help or advice anyone can give.

Have you followed the suggestions I made above?

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mnelson104

I did that before but it didnt resolve it.  I will try again possibly tonight.  It can't hurt.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mnelson104

Followed your steps and still doing the same thing.  I will probably give tech support a call tomorrow to see what can be done.  Thanks for the help.

Please use plain text.