Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Developer
ukracer1
My Device: 16GB Playbook, 64GB Playbook, Bold 9000 and 9900 Bold
My Carrier: Orange (UK)

Re: Playbook sync to outlook?

You can sync outlook to gmail calendar as follows:

Syncing your Outlook Calendar to GMail is the easy part. Download and install Google Calendar Sync. Once it starts, select how you want your calendar entries to work. Your calendar gets sent to the Google cloud. Add that same GMail account to your PlayBook, and your Outlook calendar is synced with your BlackBerry PlayBook.

Contacts-Sync.jpg

Unfortunately, things are not quite so simple in syncing Outlook contacts. While Google does make a program for doing just that, it's only for those folks who already pay for Google Apps. If you're looking for less expensive option, CNET.com has put together a nice how-to on using the free utility Contacts Sync. You do have to authorize the application to access your gMail account, so you'll first have to sign in to Google before downloading the tool. Once your contacts have been uploaded to Google, they should soon appear on your PlayBook.

Getting your Outlook contacts and calendars to your PlayBook requires a little bit of work. But after that small amount of effort is done, your PlayBook and Outlook contacts and calendars will be in lockstep, with just a little help from GMail. And certainly, this is only a temporary measure.

The above workaround is from crackberry.com.

Bob

https://twitter.com/bb_zealot
Please use plain text.
Developer
ukracer1
My Device: 16GB Playbook, 64GB Playbook, Bold 9000 and 9900 Bold
My Carrier: Orange (UK)

Forgot to mention with contacts sync.

The Free version ONLY syncs contacts from the MY CONTACTS folder it will ignore the OTHER CONTACTS folder.  When you sync contacts from Outlook to gmail contacts it will upload to Other Contacts.  Merely copy these to the My Contacts folder and re-run the contacts sync application and hey presto contacts are syncd with the PB.

Enjoy!

bob

https://twitter.com/bb_zealot
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
pmcbride1957
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

Tony, I don;t know where you are getting your advice, but I recommend you get better advice.

My W7 phone syncs beautifully with our Exchange server and did so the day I bought it over a year ago. I can now sync my Playbook with it as well..contacts, calendar, no probs, no temp storage, no cloud. I simply direct the account to my Exchange Server and Bingo! 

Notes is a question mark, haven't tried, but both my phone and my playbook (OS2.0) are synced and running great.

Your Verizon guy dosn't know what he's talking about. I am pretty sure you are not understanding the technology or the responses from Microsoft too - they are not concerned that it will not sync, because it DOES  SYNC directly to MS Exchange.

Note I said EXCHANGE SERVER, not Outlook. Outlook is just a client, like any other (ok, better than most, but still just a client). If you are using Outlook as a POP3 client, then your data is living on other servers for a period of time, no exception to this.

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,839
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Tony specifically said this was in using the Outlook client, not exchange.

Anyway, Bob's copy/paste from Crackberry above will work... it's not beautiful, but it works, if you're using only the desktop Outlook client.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
RobEh
My Device: Bold 9790 & Playbook
My Carrier: Telus

It is still a very messy way of importing. There should be an easy way to sync contact and calendars with the desktop and playbook just as there is with desktop and phone. Having to go via Google and gmail kind of defeats the purpose of security and privacy.

JMO.

But this method does work.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
pmcbride1957
My Device: Playbook

Theres an app in there somewhere!

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,839
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

RobEh wrote:

It is still a very messy way of importing. There should be an easy way to sync contact and calendars with the desktop and playbook just as there is with desktop and phone. Having to go via Google and gmail kind of defeats the purpose of security and privacy.

JMO.

But this method does work.

And, I agree!

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Crater1975
My Device: Bold 9700 & PB
My Carrier: Telus

This is a HUGE gap in the overall productivity of the complete BB works suite.  There are a lot of us out there, small business owners, that do not use the Enterprise server that still would like to see our contact list that we use in Outlook transferred over to our PB.

Currently with my phone I am able to open the BB Desktop program on my computer, attach my phone via USB cord, hit sync and Viola! Presto! Any changes that I have made through the day on my phone in my contact list, adds, edits, removals - are updated in my Outlook - same goes the other way if changes are made on my desktop.

Why don't we see the same option for the PB?  Currently the only thing that you can sync is files, music and video.

I had hoped with the integration of OS2.0 that this issue would be taken care of but sadly it is not.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Torontom
My Device: Don't have one yet.

For over 10 years I have synchronised several different Pocket PC PDA's with my home computer and it's non-MS Exchange Outlook client. It is virtually flawless and generally very reliable and suits my needs very well.

I was very much looking forward to finally retiring my (6 year old) Dell Axim X51v when PB OS 2.0 came out...but...HELLO WATERLOO ARE YOU EVEN AWAKE!?

Really, really disappointed...stupid...stupid...stupid.

Was also really looking forward to the BB10 phones...but Samsung or HTC are really starting to look pretty good right about now. The Playbook is a great little tablet, but if I can't even synchronise my Outlook data (all of it), the native e-mail, calendar and contacts are for the most part pointless and useless. The mail client works great...but without calendar and contacts....almost useless. If I recall Samsung has a very nice little 7" tablet coming out...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
scottpm
My Device: zed10
My Carrier: bell

[ Edited ]

I called RIM talked to a Customer Service Rep. Talking to support is a waste of time. I expressed my disappointment about my inability to sync Outlook directly with Playbook. The rep I talked with said he was unaware of any plans to develop a method. He said however (I believe he was in the executive office) that he would pass my concerns along to the appropriate people in development.

If you like your playbook, which I do, but are unhappy because you cannot sync with playbook's native apps for email, calendar and contacts then maybe you should spend a couple of dimes and a few minutes of your time to express your disappointment (i think i told the guy that i was stunned) to the people in Waterloo... like I said, clogging up support lines is not going to get you anywhere... RIM's support is subcontracted.  Call them in Waterloo  at (519) 888-7465.

Maybe a few calls will get their attention and they will get something happening. They have the brains and the abilities (if they can sync my phone they can sync my playbook), they just need a reason. Remind them, while you are at it, that there are a few devices on the horizon that could easily replace the playbook in no time (I am keeping my eyes out for a Win8 tablet)

Please use plain text.