Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
jgilby
My Device: Playbook, Torch

Playbook will not backup and update has a failure

I am trying to update my Playbook using Desktop manager and I keep getting a failure - what should i do?

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
chrispycrunch
My Device: Z10, Playbook 32GB

Re: Playbook will not backup and update has a failure

Known issue - alot of us have this issue right now. You can backup your settings and I think your media, but not your apps.

-----------
Chris --- http://www.twitter.com/chrispycrunch
-----------
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Sith_Apprentice
My Device: various

Update should be OTA, go to your options then software updates. Backup errors seem to be centered around applications and have been discussed here (dont have a link handy). Try backing up only user data (media) and settings and it should backup without an issue.

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Accept as Solution" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the Star on the left of their post.
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
scocam
My Device: Playbook 16

your purchased apps will still be on be in the APP Store for download...all you woudl do is -re-install....I discovered this when I wiped my PB to factoy defaults with no backup done....but all my apps that I downlaoded were in teh un-installed tab so it was simple to re-install because that option exists

eastcoastcreative
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Quila467
My Device: Bold 9700 and Playbook 64 Gb

chrispycrunch wrote:

Known issue - alot of us have this issue right now. You can backup your settings and I think your media, but not your apps.

There was some discussion on one of the developer forums that it was very easy to copy purchased apps that have been backed up and to repackage them and then install them on other Playbooks without having to buy them again.  Developers were complaining that it was too easy to pirate their apps from the backups.  My guess is that RIM intentionally broke the app backup until they figure out a way to fix that.  Of course, since RIM doesn't provide change logs, that's only a guess.

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700

This worked for me!  

I realize the applications are all part of what comes with the OS except for the ones that I added in on my own.  The applications I added are easy for me to have again if I require to do so. The configuration and the data itself is what is most important for me.  Everything else is easily available and easy to install if need be.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.
Please use plain text.