Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
2thdocs
My Device: Playbook 16 GB

Playbook will not charge or power up

I have two Playbooks and two (different styles of) Blackbery chargers.  One Playbook powers up and will take a charge from either of the two different chargers.  The other will not power up or charge no matter which charger I use. [I did have it powered up and accepting a charge about two months ago but it sat idle since then.]  I have also tried the suggestions in "Playbook wont power up or light just blinks" edited by Chronos.  Any advice or suggestions or do I have a piece of cyberjunk?

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,955
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Playbook will not charge or power up

There are many suggestions in that other thread you reference, many of which have worked for others.

Not knowing what all you have done, I'd suggest getting a magnetic rapid  charger from Amazon, and charging. It is the most powerful of all the chargers and works great to revive a Playbook.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
2thdocs

Thanks for your reply.  I did as stated in my first post (nothing else, really)  Amazon has two rapid chargers:  which would you suggest, the plug in or the "stand up" model?  Again, thanks for the help.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

The simple plug model, not the stand.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
2thdocs

Thanks...just ordered onel...will let hou know what happens.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
2thdocs

I have "charged" the dead Playbook for 24 hours with the Rpaid Charger.  Playbook is still dead.  Any further suggesitons?  All I can think is to write Blackberry (snail mail) directly since there does ot appear to be a direct support contact available..  Thanks for your help so far.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

After allowing the Playbook to charge that 24 hours, did you repeat the procedures above?

And, WITH the rapid charger still connected?

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mljackson680
My Device: Blackberry Playbook

I am also having this trouble with BOTH playbooks. This has been going on for the past few months. The playbooks belong to my 6 and 8 year old children who are getting very frustrated now...myself included. Not very happy with Blackberry at the moment! I am going to contact them myself also so will post when/if I receive a reply.
I hope you get sorted before then.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
2thdocs

This is a further update.  It will take the following form: a) what I have, b) what I have done, and c) a differential diagnosis of the "disease" as I see it along with possible "cures".

A.  I have two BlackBerry Playbooks:

No. 1 was purchased at a retail outlet, kidnapped by my children, abandoned when they acquired or rediscovered toys they would rather play with, and acquired by me when the last child had left for university.  This Playbook started up relatively easily and has been regularly in use for the past 12 months.

No. 2 was acquired as an optional "gift" from a business supplier after a certain dollar value of product had been purchased.  This, too, was kidnapped and, subsequently, abandoned by my children.   At the point I "found" it, we only had one charger available.  I was able to power this unit up and kept it powered up for one week.  At this point, it was turned over to my wife for her use.  From that point on, it was not further charged or powered up for about two months.  When I, then, tried to power this Playbook up, it would not turn on and continues to be "dead" to this day.

I have two BlackBerry chargers -- of different styles -- which came with the original purchase.  The second was found "buried" in a closet in one of my children's rooms.  These two units "work" as they both will charge Playbook No. 1 but will not charge Playbook No. 2.

I now also have a BlackBerry Rapid Charger which I purchased just after Christmas.  This unit also "works" as it will charge Playbook No. 1 but also will not charge Playbook No. 2.

I also have a Blackberry Data Sync USB cable.  This cable "works" as it will connect Playbook No. 1 to the installed Blackberry Desktop Software.  Playbook No. 2 does not connect.

B.  I have done the following:

Playbook No. 2 was placed on both the original chargers, independently, for at least 48 hours.  After "charging" with each of the original chargers, I did the following:  (i) depressed and held the "Power" button for at least 20 seconds, (ii) depressed and held the "Power" + "Volume Up" + "Volume Down" buttons,simultaneously, for at least 20 seconds, and (iii) connected the Playbook to my desktop computer with the USB cable and redid actions (i) and (ii).  Resuscitation failed in all cases.

After acquiring the Blackberry Rapid Charger, I "charged" the Playbook No. 2 for at least 48 hours -- on two separate occasions -- and redid, after each "charge", actions (i), (ii), and (iii) as in the preceding paragraph.  Again, channeling Monty Python, this "Norwegian Blue" is a stiff.

C.  Differential diagnosis (in descending order from least likely to most likely):

1.  Since Playbook No. 2 was acquired as a "premium" from a supplier, it may have been a "second" (like "second" clothing which has defects sufficient to prevent their sale at normal retail oulets).  If so, any defects it may have had have fully expressed themselves and the unit is now seriously damaged. 

2.  The motherboard of Playbook No. 2 may be "blown".

3.  Some cause other than (4).

4.  The original battery installed in Playbook Nol. 2 is "dead' and will not charge. 

Possible "cures":   (1) I would hope that BlackBerry does not "dump" defective product as a quick cash grab for the "out of sight, out of mind" mentality.,

(2)  If the motherboard is blown, it is probably not worth its repair or replacement.,

(3)  Depending on what "it" is, may or may not be worth repair or replacement., and

(4)  The most likely and, probably, the only option worth pursuing.

Therefore, if I am correct, how and where can I obtain both a replacement battery for Playbook No. 2 along with instructions for its replacement?  It is all but impossible to get Playbook "Support" from Blackberry or I would ask them directly.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks for your help.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

Have you tried calling PlayBook support?

Have you tried jumpstarting PlayBook #2?  Jump start a PlayBook a knottyrope tip

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.