Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
smartin0055
My Device: Playbook

Playbook will not connect to PC

Any suggestions??  I have downloaded the software, connected via USB cable, and device will not connect

New Contributor
Kanadien
My Device: Blackberry 9300 / Playbook

Re: Playbook will not connect to PC

I am having the same issue. I was actually able to get my playbook to connect to my Mac before the upgrade, but only once. I did a backup just in case. Then I was getting an error and it asked me to "Cancel, Repair or Retry". Only cancel seems to do anything really and that's stop the process.

I need a solution to this and getting a hold of blackberry themselves is ridiculous. Worst customer service I've ever dealt with. I have a brand new tablet, only a couple weeks old and I'm not eligible for the 90 day support it says when I enter my s/n. I've used blackberry for years now and have been a supporter of their devices, but I'm quickly starting to loathe them. What I get is that they don't care about their customers, the company seems arrogant. Hopefully they can turn things around.

But back to this problem of connecting it to the computer. I've also tried connecting it to a Windows platform without any success. Any help that can be provided for myself and smartin would be much appreciated.

Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea
My Device: PlayBook 64 GB & Torch 9860

Check to see if you have a firewall that is keeping you out. That is what they are designed to do. Turn it off and try connecting. I can connect to my computer by Cable or wifi. On my computer I can also go to start, right click on Explore. It will show all my computer files as well as my PB Files. From here I can drag alll my music, photos and other files back and forth from one device to the other. If I can do it everyone should be able to do it. I have XP PRO on my laptop.
New Contributor
kneon
My Device: Playbook 64gb + Bold 9650

Try turning off your wifi before connecting to the PC. I had a problem where the PC saw the playbook as another network connection and that caused the desktop manager to not find the playbook. Also try a different cable, I had a bad one the first time I tried.

New Contributor
Kanadien
My Device: Blackberry 9300 / Playbook

Worked, thanks!
New Contributor
smartin0055

changing the cable or disconnecting wifi????

New Contributor
smartin0055

Under storage and sharing, I changed the USB connection from Auto connect to connect to windows and that seemed to fix the problem.

mtwoods

Thanks
Too bad RIM doesn't provide this info in their useless help files.
Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea
My Device: PlayBook 64 GB & Torch 9860

What info are you looking for?
New Contributor
gil69
My Device: torch9810 / Playbook

HI,

On your pc, right-click 'my computer' and select 'manage'.  Click on 'services and applications', then double-click on 'services' to display them.  To change them, right-click on any one and select 'properties'.  (For this purpose select 'automatic' in 'startup type' dropdown box and click on ok).

Ensure that the folowing services are set to automatic,then restart the pc:-

Webclient service

Workstation

DHCP client

DNS client

Server

TCP/IP Netbios helper

Computer browser

There is also an option with each to 'start' the service, you can do that ater setting a service to automatic too - or reboot the pc (or both)!

Additionally, ensure that 'file and printer sharing' is/are enabled on your pc.

Then install Blackberry Desktop Manager (latest version) if not already installed.

That should do for the pc. 

After that, if you connect the Playbook with Desktop Manager running the Playbook should connect, you should also see the Playbook as a new 'drag and drop' drive in 'my computer'.

If not ensure the Playbook has'connect to windows' and 'file sharing' on; also 'wi-fi sharing' on (for later) and 'password protect' off.

An easier way is to connect wirelessly, - which your P.C. and Playbook are now set up to do too.  That works  as follows:-

On the playbook, select 'about' and in the dropdown box, select 'Network'.  There, you will find your IPv4 network address, i.e. 192.168.*.**.  (whatever yours reads).  Make an accurate note of it. (Not including the forward slash and following numbers at the end).

Now go to your pc and find 'RUN' (depends on Windows version)!  When the 'run' box is opened, type in there two backward slashes (i.e.\\), followed by your Playbook network address that you noted earlier.  NOTE: NO spaces in there, and click on 'OK'.

If all is well, then magically, in your Windows screen, a pane will open giving access to your usable Playbook contents.  To do a backup though, it's a cable job unfortunately.

If this fails, re-check the above instructions.  It works for me.  Good luck.