Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

Re: Playbook won't accept a charge

[ Edited ]

This may seem kind of pointless but it doesn't hurt to try a different plug too. May as well rule that out. Often troubleshooting is just trial and error, changing variables one by one until something changes for the better (or worse). To me it sounds like you have a faulty power adapter or USB port on the tablet.

The different variables involved here are:

1. power outlet plugs
  2. charger itself
  3. usb cable on charger
  4. separate usb cable charging via desktop USB port on computer 
  5. get brand new OEM charger to try
  6. Is the USB port on tablet working or is it damaged (are all pins intact?)

You CAN charge your PB using the standard usb cable plugged into a rear facing USB port on your computer while the tablet is 100% off but it will take a VERY long time to charge (like 8+ hours) and your computer has to stay on the entire time. It also depends on the type of USB port. My laptop does seem to have enough power to do this as I am up to 99% from having it plugged in for the last two hours (previously I was down to 92% power), but my desktop seems to be able to trickle charge it  faster.

You're getting down to that critical threshold for power in your battery and your problems may worsen if you don't rule out a faulty charger (just because it powers your Torch doeesn't mean it's delivering enough power to the power hungry PlayBook). Whatever charger you use it has to deliver these power specifications at minimum:

BlackBerry Rapid Charger (the one with fold out prongs and ships with the device):
Input: 100-240V - 300mA 50-60Hz
Output: 5V - 1.8A

You don't want to drain out the battery 100% or you'll have even more issues to worry about (read the other threads on here about that). I would either try someone else's PlayBook charger (go to a store that sells them or where you bought it from and get them to open one up to try), buy a new charger, try trickle charging over night or call support for an RMA # if you're still in warranty.

By the way, I posted a thread earlier that you can buy an HP TouchPad barrel charger off of eBay for next to nothing (like $5) and use the USB cable that is included with the PlayBook to charge the unit. It's a cheap investment for it definitely will work to charge the tablet (as I use my HP TouchPad barrel charger regularly now when I'm travelling). I call it a Frankencharger (here is my thread over on Crackberry.com on this if you're curious: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-playbook-f222/very-cheap-playbook-charging-solution-touchpad...

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
danthrax
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Verizon

try connecting it to your computer.  does the computer react as if you've connected a USB device?  it it doesn't, there's probably something wrong with that port on the playbook.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
DanG40
My Device: Torch 9900
My Carrier: Telus

After trying all of the suggestions, nothing has worked.  I've resigned myself to the problem being the USB port on the PB.  It must be damaged in some way but I have no idea how as I've not dropped the PB or mistreated it in anyway.  That said, does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get the port fixed?

Thanks for all of you help.

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,892
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

By all means call your PlayBook support number.

Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.