Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
davegsc
My Carrier: Shaw
Accepted Solution

Playbook won't boot, re-boot, or charge, and now I can't write the killer app I was hoping to <GRIN!>

I got my PB as a gift in August 2012, registered it and got got my Blackberry ID on August 13, 2012. I'm planning on writing some apps for it, after writing for PC's for years and most recently, for the Kindle Fire.

After 40 days, the wall charger stopped charging. I was able to keep using it by plugging it into the USB port, but it takes over 12 hours to get from 20% to a full charge.

Two nights ago however, , it gave a message that it was shutting down due to low battery (I didn't got the usual warning..., "Battery at 9% - Dismiss?" message this time.) Since then, I've left it connected to my daughter's Playbook charger (same chargers as mine)

When I first plug it in, I get a solid red LED for 10 seconds, then five green LEDs. but no other activity. Once the red
light goes out, it doesn't come back on unless I unplug the cable and plug it back in.

I've tried all the suggestions that have been suggested in various forums (ie: holding down the power button for 10 seconds, and for 20 seconds, holding down the + and - volume buttons while holding down the power button. Nothing. Aside from the LEDs appearing when I first plug it in, it appears to be completely dead. No reboot is possible.

Tried to get support, but was told they couldn't process my request. Can't find a serial number on the unit - I assume it's in the software? - so can't start a ticket.

Any suggestions? I really have tried all the suggestions in the related threads.

Thanks

davegsc - long time RIM investor and Blackberry fan, short-term owner, and wanna-be developer

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine

Re: Playbook won't boot, re-boot, or charge, and now I can't write the killer app I was hoping to <GRIN!>

[ Edited ]

Hello Dave,

Have you checked out this lengthy thread? Please pay attention to what JSanders writes as he has had a long success record reviving the PlayBooks.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-PlayBook/Battery-is-0-and-won-t-recharge-at-all/td...

You will need a new wall charger though. I just posted an article on how you can obtain a cheaper substitution instead of forking out $38.99 for a new one. http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-PlayBook/Cheap-way-to-rapidly-charge-your-PlayBook...

You might wish to go down that route.

USB doesn't have enough power to revive your machine. You WILL need to get a wall charger of some type.

If it's only been since August 2012 since you bought the PlayBook, won't your charger still be under warranty? I would call support and find out for sure. There is a 90 day accessory warranty so as of now, you are covered if you can get access to the receipt. I realize this was a gift so I am not sure what support will do about that...

Here are warranty details for your country: http://us.blackberry.com/legal/accessory-limited-warranty.html

Your best bet is to call Support and ask them what to do, here is their contact information: http://us.blackberry.com/customer-service/contact-us.html?LID=us:bb:support:contactus&LPOS=us:bb:sup...

By the way your serial number is beside the plugin ports on the bottom of the unit. You will not see this if it's inside a case so pop it out of the case...it should be visible.

Oh, I'd like to beta test your killer app :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
davegsc

Re: Playbook won't boot, re-boot, or charge, and now I can't write the killer app I was hoping to <GRIN!>

Thanks for the quick reply. I have read the thread and tried the suggestions. Like I wrote, I used my daughter's charger, so although I will have to replace mine, that isn't my main issue at the moment. I really do appreciate the links, though! I'll follow your suggestions right away.

Thanks
Dave (davegsc)
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine

davegsc wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply. I have read the thread and tried the suggestions. Like I wrote, I used my daughter's charger, so although I will have to replace mine, that isn't my main issue at the moment. I really do appreciate the links, though! I'll follow your suggestions right away.

Thanks
Dave (davegsc)

Great, good luck too. Please post back your findings when you have the time. Others will benefit from your discovery and experience.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
davegsc

Hey chaosdivine,

Thanks for all those links. They didn't address the actual problem, but they brought up further questions that led to other  links that did help. And the power supply link was very useful, so I'm happy yo give you the credit for it.

For anyone who has the same problem (and can't get help from RIM), plugging and re-plugging the Playbook in numerous times (around 90), actually works. I rigged up a switch to save wear and tear on the cable ends. After supplying power, wait for the solid red LED to go out (about 10 seconds each time), then unplug and plug it in again.

After about 80 on/off cycles, I got a red battery icon with lightning bolt. It went out after ten seconds too, but after another 10 or so on/off cycles, it stayed on longer a bit longer. That was encouraging, so I pushed the PB's power button, and lo and behold..., the icon stayed on, and I was charging. Yay!

The general consensus for this "trick" is that the PB needs to be on in order to charge, and all those 10 second charges eventually gives a completely dead battery enough juice to do that. It took almost four hours to get to a full charge, but it's acting normally now, with a good five to six hours to get down to 25%. I haven't let it get below that since the recovery, but eventually I'll try to see if the "9% battery left" message appears. No device should allow its battery to run to complete empty, so I'm guessing this was an oversight.

There have been two OS updates in the day and a half since I recovered, so I suspect RIM is monitoring these forums and these are bug fixes. My theory is the first one had it's own problems, hence the second update 24 hours later. (Well..., that's the only reason I would send a followup update so soon after a previous fix. <GRIN!> Kudos to RIM for staying on it, though.

Cheers

davegsc

chaosdivine: I'll let you know when my :killer" app is finished. That may be a slight exaggeration - it's a good idea but it's no VisiCalc..

Please use plain text.
Contributor
seageath
My Carrier: M1 Singapore

Just experienced this case with my new 2-days old Playbook, a bit panic and do some googling and end up here.

Do the following (it's still not up yet)

- Keep the charger plugged for 10 min or so, and felt it a bit warn on the back of the PB.

- Unplugged and got the red light, plug the charger again, repeat this about 3 times.

- Now got a red battery charging icon and beeped green-light.

Now waiting for the miracle, finger crossed :smileyvery-happy:

SEA - Powered by Whiteberry Z10 & Playbook 32Gb Wifi
Please use plain text.
Contributor
seageath
My Carrier: M1 Singapore

It's ON. After 20 min ++ I have green light blinking.

Time to PLAY again.

SEA - Powered by Whiteberry Z10 & Playbook 32Gb Wifi
Please use plain text.
Umarhsn
My Carrier: Etisalat

Am having the same problem. I had to order a rapid charger. But still if plug it gives me a solid red for about 8-9 sec followed by a 5 yellow flashes and out it will go. Have plugging in & out a time without number but still same result. What's the trick plssss
Please use plain text.