Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

cv004
My Device: Playbook 64 GB

Playbook won't charge? Currently at 86%

Hi, I have read a lot of posts about playbooks that will not charge, but all the cases are when the battery is in the red, or completely drained. My playbook is at 86% and I was about to go on a road trip and wanted to bring it up to 100% to last me and realized it wasn't charging... I have the OEM charger, and I have tried several outlets in my home. The playbook is recognized by my computers USB but does not charge there either.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Other notes that may help; Updated to the latest software, 64 GB, the product is only 11 days old. I also ordered a rapid charger off Amazon last week and am still waiting for it, but I rather not have that as my only charging option for a brand new product.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran II
Wolf359
My Device: Z30 / Playbook

Re: Playbook won't charge? Currently at 86%

[ Edited ]

Can you give them a call at the number listed here?

http://us.blackberry.com/support/tablets/playbook/contact-support.html

Sounds like you've already rebooted the device.  Not sure why it could be stuck at 86%

My Device: Playbook - 64gb - wifi

I'm not too happy with BB Playbook now either, I just got mine, not even four days ago, updated, now I read, and have experienced, the no charging with the usb connection to a laptop or other computer.

How do I use it as a GPS in the car then? or charge it while on the go, I am certainly not lugging around the rapid charger, it's a bit of a let don, reading that it did charge before via usb, and not now.

poo.
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
TroyTempest
My Device: Playbook 32

You can't charge an ipod from a PC USB either.  0.5 amps is not enough for a running ipod and certainly not enough for a running playbook,  ipad or droid tablet. 

That doesn't mean you can't use a USB cable to charge it. 

You can charge Playbook with a 2 amp or more  source and a charge-only cable, or a custom made Playbook car charger.  

________
Please use plain text.
Contributor
cr8tive_leo

I charge my Iphone, Ipod Touch, Android phone, wifes Ipod, my cameras, and a whole bunch of other things all through my usb ports on my laptop, without any issue.

Plug in the playbook, not only doesn't it charge, it doesn't sync either, system recognizes it, but that's it. I wiped the system, so it was 2.0, and low and beold, it syncs and charges through the usb, upgrade, and boom, down she goes. 

NOT very good in my opinion. 

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
TroyTempest

[ Edited ]

I charge my ipod via usb on my mac too, but the manual says you can't.   I have also charged my playbook via macs usb but it needs to be asleep to get a net charge. 

Read another thread on here about taking a usb extension cable, shorting out the data wires on the playbook side, and using a usb cig lighter socket, the modified extension plus the standard playbook usb cable. 

The manual and the on screen warning are overly pessimistic.

Btw do you charge any other tablet by pc USB?

You also say you wiped down to 2.0 - how? As far as I know that can't be done without rooting the playbook.

________
Please use plain text.
Contributor
cr8tive_leo

I do a system wipe from the menu, it formats, and it's 2.0 . It's not rooted. 

I have two other android tablets that I charge via usb, also a couple of RC transmitters too.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
cr8tive_leo

Who reads manuals? :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
TroyTempest

[ Edited ]

cr8tive_leo wrote:

Who reads manuals? :smileyvery-happy:

Me.  It's difficult to make informed comments on here without knowing something about Playbooks. 

So you can run an android tablet full blast on wifi and still have enough from 2.5 watts usb to charge it?  must be a gutless wonder of a tablet, or you only think it's net charging.  They will all charge on standby from usb including Playbook. 

http://ipad.about.com/od/iPad_Troubleshooting/a/What-To-Do-If-Your-Ipad-Will-Not-Charge.htm

________
Please use plain text.
cv004
My Device: Playbook 64 GB

Update: I called in with tech support and it looks like my charger is broken. Less than 2 weeks and it died lol. I must say that the people I spoke with on the phone were amazing and helpful. Good job there RIM. One thing that is disapointing is that they said it typically takes 7-10 days for delivery, but they are backed up and it will be 3 weeks!

Please use plain text.