Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
sw65
My Device: Playbook 64gb

Playbook won't charge or boot

Just spent an unhappy hour on the phone to UK support with Pedro Costa. My 64gb Playbook which is just over a month old won't boot or charge.  After all software and hardware checks, my two options were to pay for a £113 out of warranty repair (on a £129 purchase) or buy a magnetic charging stand.  Very very frustrated and disappointed with RIM support. Wil be pursuing this further.

Forums Veteran III
Wolf359
My Device: Z30 / Playbook

Re: Playbook won't charge or boot

Its only 30 days old, you still have some warranty options.

See here:

http://us.blackberry.com/support/tablets/playbook/contact-support.html

Solutions: 5,992
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

LEAVE it connected to the wall outlet charger (not the USB > PC charger).
Leave it connected for 24 hours... every 3-5 hours, press and hold the power button only for about 20 seconds. Eventually it will boot on up, but first must reach a certain charge level.
You will see the blinking red and perhaps yellowish LED light, and perhaps a symbol on screen of "no battery". That means the battery is drained, but it must reach a certain charge before powering on.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
sw65

Thanks - I'll give that a try

Super Contributor
TroyTempest
My Device: Playbook 32

[ Edited ]

sw65 wrote:

Just spent an unhappy hour on the phone to UK support with Pedro Costa. My 64gb Playbook which is just over a month old won't boot or charge.  After all software and hardware checks, my two options were to pay for a £113 out of warranty repair (on a £129 purchase) or buy a magnetic charging stand.  Very very frustrated and disappointed with RIM support. Wil be pursuing this further.

So you are in UK with a month old playbook that is in that state? Replacement by the retailer or refund under Sale of Goods act.  RIM are not involved, assuming it was a UK retailer of course. 

________
New Contributor
sw65

TroyTempest wrote:

sw65 wrote:

So you are in UK with a month old playbook that is in that state? Replacement by the retailer or refund under Sale of Goods act.  RIM are not involved, assuming it was a UK retailer of course. 

Yes, bought in store from Currys. I've just ordered a magnetic charging stand to try to get the Playbook to boot as I have contacts, data, documents and pictures on the dead one, which I don't want to lose.

Super Contributor
TroyTempest
My Device: Playbook 32

[ Edited ]

Hope you can get it to charge then. In hindsight and for future reference, backups are useful, and by wifi sharing using drag and drop so you can recover them to any device.  

Any contacts or calendar dates not syncd with a web or cloud based email are at risk anyway. Evrybody who took that risk lost them on the last upgrade. If they are syncd with something like Hotmail contacts then they are safe.

Still, could have been worse, might have been Comet...

(for our overseas and commonwealth friends, they just went bust. Biggest bust since Woolworths)

________