Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook and Torch
Accepted Solution

Playbook won't charge via USB in 2011 Equinox

I am trying to get my pb to charge via USB in my vehicle My Torch charges no problem, but when I plug in the playbook, it says device not supported on my dash. Any suggestions on how to get it to work in my vehicle?
Trusted Contributor
My Device: BLACKBERRY PLAYBOOK

Re: Playbook won't charge via USB in 2011 Equinox

Hi Carebear02:Walkman:

The Playbook requires a lot more power to charge than your torch.

Normal usb will bearly maintain the current charge if it's not too low or if you are not using wi-fi and bluetooth and have no apps running in the back.

The best  is always the wall charger that came in the box with the device.  Maybe you can get some adaptor to plug that in your car.  I'm not sure if RIM has something like a rapid wall charger available for a car...

Please give kudos and mark as a solution if this works for you!!!

Solutions: 6,094
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

I was told by people at shopblackberry.com that they had the higher powered auto dc chargers in shipping but I still don't see them in their store.

An auto charger may work, but only charge at a slower trickle rate compared to the AC wall outlet charger which came with the Playbook.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Playbook and Torch

Thanks. Do you suppose a power inverter plugged into the cigarette lighter and the wall charger that came with it plugged into that would work?
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

I have a walmart 1000 ma amp USB car charger and it works fine in the cigarette lighter but a bit slow with charging.

It does not charge it as fast as the stock Playbook wall charger since the stock charger has 1800 ma output.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

i tried an inverter and the power supply got very warm. i suspect it is due to not a true sine wave. typical power supplies dont like the raggged AC output that an inverter will. i have same issue with my laptop supply and dont trust the heat generated.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V