Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800

Re: Playbook won't connect to Blackberry Desktop

Just bought the Playbook today and also cannot connect media files through BB Desktop Manager. It will do a backup but not recogniozed when trying to sync Media files.

Not a good start.

Bob:smileymad:

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

which media files are you trying to sync?
I simply do a drag'n'drop using Windows Explorer (and enjoy my vids & music on the PlayBook)

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor

I would like to Sync Pictures, Videos and Music. Unfortunately, the PlayBook is not showing in Windows 7 Explorer so cannpot Drag & drop.

This is very strange asBB Desktop opens automatically when I connect the PlayBook to the computer (USB Port) and I am able to Backip the Playbook with BB Desktop but clicking Media Sync, Music (or video or pictures), it says Connecting to device but after a minute I get this message "A problem occurred while attempting to connect to your BlackBerry device".

I think I'll call Support today using my 90 Day free support.

Thanks, Bob

Guru I

there are several things you need to configure on your PlayBook side, including a password to be set by you.
and you need to type in the IP address, and mount if for later if you wish.
I do not have time right now, but there is an article in the public knowledge base about it, click on the image in my signature.

If you do not find the article, please reply here and I'll check that for you in 3 hours.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor

Thanks and I found Article ID: KB26068 and though that would work but it doesn't. The address on my Wireless router is 198.168.1.106 which is a normal I.P address for a router. The USB one is 169.254.172.149 and I have tried both to no avail.

The PlayBook shows up under Devices and Printers as a RIM Network Device and under Properties says it is working properly. There are 2 Local Area Networks when PlayBook is connected, my normal Home network and another Unidentified Public network with IPv4. and File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks selected.

Not sure what else I can tell you to help.

Regards, Bob

Guru I

what happens when you try ?
I have used it using Wi-Fi only, it worked within seconds. Is there any error message?

Contributor

Ok, I went into the wireless router firmware and the PlayBook shows there under the devices connected to it BUT it has no Client Name, just a blank (the BB Torch has a name as well as 2 other computers), just says the PlayBook connection is wireless, IP Address 192.168.1.106 and the long MAC address.

Where should the Router obtain the PB Name? This could be where the problem lies.

Suggestions?

Thanks, Bob

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800/PlayBook

Firewall: http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB26745

Network Driver - Desktop Software: http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB26904

W7:http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB27204

Regarding the one specific for Windows 7 x64, it requires a minimum of Service Pack 1 to work properly with Desktop Software and PlayBook.

For the Network Driver, it may happen that if it was not configured correctly, even if doing it by USB mode, it might give issues as it recognizes it as another computer.

Most common one is the FireWall situation. if the FireWall is on (even the Microsoft Windows Integrated one), you might probably have issues with this, unless you add an exception for the ports and connections used by Research In Motion - BlackBerry. The other option would be to completely turn it off while using Desktop Software.

Regards,
Roberto Saborío
"War is inevitable, though violence is unnecessary." ("Lyan" Roberto Saborío)
Contributor

Actually running Windows 7, 32 bit but shouldn't make a difference. I was on the phone to RIM Support this morning for almost 2 hours and still cannot get it tobe recognized so I can transfer files. They figure there is something in the Registry causing this problem but I am not familiar working in this area of a computer so will not be going there.

In the meantime, I have been able yo get the BlackBerry Desktop Manager on my Sony laptop to recognize the PlayBook so I am able to transfer files using it.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Regards, Bob

My Device: Playbook 64 GB

Hello Everybody -

I was having problems connecting my Playbook to a Windows Vista 64 laptop.  I solved the problem by turning User Account Control off - you know, the annoying dialog box that appears each time you do something new in Windows.

1. Go to Control Panel

2. Select User Accounts

3. Click the link that says "Turn User Account Control on or off"

4. You will be presented with "are you sure you want to turn this off?.  Make sure you click the check box off next to the 'Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer'

5. Click OK --> Windows will want to restart.  Make sure your PB is disconnected, then click Restart.

6. Wait the six hours for Windows to reboot and then connect your PB

Everything should work just like our Canadian geniuses planned all along.

Hope this helps!

Side Note: UAC is kinda of a joke.  You still go ahead and click OK everytime it appears.