Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Ferris842
My Device: Blackberry Playbook

Re: Playbook won't connect to Blackberry Desktop

Looks like some great ideas here, but they have not worked for me. Wifi is off, bluetooth is off, tried five different USB cables, unistalled and re0installed software many times (manually now, though - see below)....

My playbook is at the point where, after unistalling all software on the PC and re-connecting the playbook, it doesn't even let me install Device Manager - no recognition that the 'drive' exists to get the files from.

Desktop software identifies the playbook, but cannot communicate with it. After many attempts at "Retry" last night, including resets of the playbook, I clicked "Update" to see if I got any other reaction. To my surprise, it kicked off an update cycle, getting the new 'beta' update.

The whole process took much longer than the suggested 30 minutes, deleting all of the data that I wasn't able to get off the tablet, of course, and then hanging with the progress bar at full green - but no more progress. Also no CPU activity on any identifiable RIM proceses that were running.

The tablet was working fine itself, so I unplugged it and re-started the computer, and after it started up again, guess what?

Still no ability to communicate between the two.

Tried it on another computer that had only the device manager software, and had exhibited no issues.

No communication there either, nor even the recognition that anything had been connected - again, no option to install the software from the tablet. That system is off the network, so there was no option of installing drivers from the web, either.

If it didn't still connect to the web over wifi, it would be completely useless.

I had considered going for the LTE version when it arrived, but after this, I'll be looking at android instead.

The number of people with this kind of issue unresolved, and the lack of formal responses from RIM does not speak well for confidence in the product nor future purchases.

sinfocomar
My Device: Blackberry Pearl 9100

FYI, same thing will happen on Windows if your Local Area Network is disabled. I re-enabled and it all just worked. Cheers.

New Contributor
cufarmer
My Device: PlayBook

I have had (and still do) this issue as well.

The Playbook does connect to my Windows 7 Ultimate 64 desktop at home just fine. It connects to my Windows 7 64 Home Premium laptop fine as well. I did have to use some of the instruction found here to get laptop connected, but it was simplely unplugging the usb and moving to another port.

My work Desktop, running Windows 7 Business 64 is an entirely different story...

I can get PlayBook to connect to PC, be seen in both the BlackBerry device manager and Windows device manager, and even get the BlackBerry network adapter to show (IP v4, Client MS Net, etc..), but desktop software has no access to playbook, even when the PlayBook is present in the BB Desktop Software.

In my opinion, it is because my work desktop is on a domain with a domain desktop login. We have a network administator with "big brother" style software installed, as well as lowered permissions and network monitoring. The short of is, I believe the playbook being connected via a network style connection (usb) is being blocked by the setting of the network login, as my C: drive is housed on the server for this login.

But, I am not a software engineer, so I do not know for sure what the actual cause is, just a suspicion.

New Contributor
cufarmer
My Device: PlayBook

If all the basic fixes fail (including moving the usb with Desktop manager running), then most likely it is the security software blocking your device. Also, check for optional updates for hardware and software (Windows Updates). Do not click the express install option, click custom so that you may view optional updates that are not getting installed automatically. Don not install all the optional software updates, many are unneccessary. Look for .Net framework updates and other core software components. There are about 38 Language updates... If you dod not speak any of those languages, you need not worry about them.

Your PC needs to be running properly. If you have one working Antivirus, and 4 disabled... start there. Remove all unused security software.

Suspect every link between the PlayBook and the PC monitor. For example,

My first attempt at connecting the PlayBook to my home desktop failed. PlayBook would charge when USB was plugged in but PC would not even recognize that the port was in use. I had discoverd that the mini USB cable was a "charge only" cable.

If you have done everything possible to connect your BlackBerry PlayBook and have had no success, then the issue is not the PlayBook. Get the computer looked at, or if you are on a domain, get assistance from the network administrator. Just because you gan access your browser and files lightning fast does not mean your computer is running properly.

New Contributor
brianatbb
My Device: Playbook

Yes, it finally worked following your advice. And I've been looking long and hard. Thanks
killa130
My Device: blackberry playbook

thanks alot helped me

ornewszamor
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook

Use the Wifi File explorer app from app world. It's free, all you have to do is enter the code they gave you in your Internet search bar to wirelessly connect to your bb PlayBook. They also let you download any file you have on your PlayBook there.

ornewszamor
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook

Having the same problem. I want to add a few things from my pc to PlayBook, but when I plug in my USB cable, they say it's unable to connect. Although it worked the night before.

Visitor
CalvT
My Device: Playbook 2

I had this problem till I went to devices and deleted the Playbook from that. I  then pluged in the Playbook and in devices it show an "Unspecified" RIM Network Device. I ran the Troubleshooter on that and it works!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kites fly against the wind, not with it.
Contributor
tandy23
My Device: 8510 Curve

[ Edited ]

I had the same problem. One day my PlayBook wouldn't connect to the Desktop software anymore, neither would it show as a network drive. It was correctly recognized, including the PIN, but that was it.

Turns out, my network settings in Windows were corrupted and it apparently deinstalled some components of BlackBerrys network driver, that I couldn't manually reinstall (Error messages in Network Connections, when I tried to edit the BlackBerry LAN connection).

This helped me reset my network settings: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/825826/en-us (Method 4: Reset the network connections), after rebooting Windows, the PlayBook connected successfully again.