Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
steelman15
My Device: blackberry playbook
My Carrier: verizon

Playbook won't connect to server or web, although shows wifi connected

I have a PB that I had been using in US and all the features were working without any problems. I recently traveled to India. The PB worked fine at the Frankfurt airport (in transit). However, since I have reached India I have tried to use it at the residence and have been facing problems. I have saved the wifi and the PB shows itself connected, but, when I try using the PB video chat it says "couldn't connect to server". The emails are not updating. When I try to update them it again says "unable to connect to the email provider server". I am not able to open any web page either. They all time out.I have tried rebooting the PB and the router. 

Has anybody else faced similar issues? I am getting desperate as I didn't bring my laptop and was relying on PB to get most of the work done!

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
Cpt_Sweatpants
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: Playbook won't connect to server or web, although shows wifi connected

Hi steelman15 and welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums!

To test, and verify that its not a problem with the Wi-Fi router, can you try connecting to another Wi-Fi hotspot.  The web and video chat should be available on the BlackBerry PlayBook while travelling to India.

Thanks.

-CptS

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
steelman15

Hi CptS

I tried connecting at a public wifi and also a private wifi and I was able to connect to video chat and download emails. So the problem is with the router at the residence. Is there a way I can check for compatibility issues as laptops belonging to other people is able to connect to Internet through the same router 

Thanks 

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

Go to Settings,Wifi, Connect to saved networks, pencil, delete the home network.

Connect afresh.

My Device: playbook
My Carrier: n-a

I had many problems with router compatibility when I first got the PlayBook. We had an older router and a lot of laptops, phones, and tablets connecting to it.

Fixing the problem required changing settings on the router. 

The main issuss were the kind of encryption on the network (it should be WPA or WPA2) and the 802.11g/n setting (it seems to need to be 802.11g).

There are quite a lot of posts on the forum about wifi connection problems. If you can get the information about which model of router you are trying to connect to, and what settings it is using, it will make it easier for people to help you.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser

Yes wireless G is best, altough N will work if you set router to use WPA2 in AES mode. That is the only approved combination for playbook to get its approval rating.

Unless people are streaming video, wireless G is the most reliable and plenty fast enough.

Thanks a lot guys! I made some changes,as suggested, in the router and now it's working.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
qjunj666
My Device: playbook, torch, DevAlpha
My Carrier: 7783228812

It maybe your router is too old. My 3yr router is not supported with most of the devices
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser

[ Edited ]

qjunj666 wrote:
It maybe your router is too old. My 3yr router is not supported with most of the devices

Read the **bleep**ing answer - he fixed it already.