Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
dgoode1969
My Device: Playbook 32g
My Carrier: 2197817025

Playbook won't connect to wi-fi,

My playbook won't connect to my wi-fi at home.  I use at&t uverse.  It has a 2wire router.  I either get an error saying unable to locate IP address or password invalid.  I have verified the password and spent hours on the phone with them.  They say their system is running correct.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
stewmcghie
My Device: playbook and tourch
My Carrier: orange

Re: Playbook won't connect to wi-fi,

Yes I am getting that all the time now, since updating to 2.0.  If I mess around long enough, deleting the wireless profile, re-entering it, setting it manually, then deleteing this and then setting it to auto take the IP address then enventually it might connect but then when I leave the house and come back again it won't log on again. May be it is to do with my router but no other device has this issue including my BB phones.  Sorry I cant help but you have my sympathy.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea
My Device: PlayBook 64 GB & Torch 9860
My Carrier: Cogeco

Try upgrading your router firmware. If you have a router more than 3 years old, consider replacing. Run with G mode, B mode is older and slower. No mode is newer and faster but causes problems for the PB. On the PB, Tap the wifi icon, connect manually, enter the correct network name, tap security type arrow, select WPA or WPA2, select dual band, check automatically obtain IP Address, check allow inter access point hardware, enter network key. Hope it works.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dgoode1969
My Device: Playbook 32g
My Carrier: 2197817025

After 5-6 hours on the phone with at&t and blackberry I gave up.  I really liked the tablet and the camera it had but I give.  I returned it this morning.  That was a bummer because I got a great sale price.  Guess it wasn't meant to be.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
stewmcghie

mine is just not connecting to my home network at all now. I have made the network "open" and so there should be no log in WPA/WEP issues at all but it still will not connect !

I guess I could buy a new router especially for the Playbook, the only wireless device which will not connect, or I could just throw it out the window and get another type of tablet !

I shall however continue to try to figure out what is going on as I don't like to give up easily (I am a sucker for punishment, whip me blackberry whip me)

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea

Do you have any friends nearby that have a PB and can try to connect to your open network? I had problems at first. I ran my PB off my neighbors open network. Everything else ran on my network except my PB. In the end I wiped out my network and started from scratch. The PB connected easily. I am very stubborn also. Something you may consider is how computer behave when you install new hardware or software.  In a lot of cases, the computer tells you to restart before changes take effect. Try that with the PB. Another thing that has caused me a lot of problems over the years with computers is that when you install a profile and it is incorrect, it is very difficult to get rid of it. I am thinking that your initial profile is still in the PB. So you may want to start from scratch. Wipe the PB And reinstall. Restart the PB, then manually install the network on the PB. 
After I finally got my PB running,  it has performed flawlessly. I have also helped 5 friends install and upgrade their PB's and none of them have problems. If it gets done right the first time, it runs great afterwards.  I am in Ontario Canada, if you live nearby, I can probably help you more. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
stewmcghie

OK so by rebooting the router and rebooting the PB i finally got it to connect to my open network but i obviously don't want to leave it open and so then set the network to use WPA Personal with TKIP  (previously was WEP). We use WPA at work and it was connecting OK there.  Rebooted the PB to be safe and then bing it connected and stayed connected for the rest of the night.

Took the PB to work and it connects there and now back home and it connects OK so far. So either using WEP is flakey or switching between different type of network security causes issues. I think it may be a combination of the two as this all started after doing some travelling for work and connecting to many different networks. WPA obviously remained solid by WEP didn't.  My conclusion so far then is use WPA.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea

That is good news. Network settings are very confusing. WEP  is an old security system for routers and is not much better than an open network. WPA and WPA2 are more secure. I generally do not shut my PB off,  I just let it go to sleep and give itva swipe in the morning.  I find however that after a week or two I have to give it a restart because some programs start acting up. I tap the battery icon, tap restart. And it's good for another week or two. 

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea

I have had mine connected to 5 different networks some with different security settings without problems. I am thinking that maybe you had a encryption setting incorrect for WEP. It doesn't take much when you are working with computers.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Beta76
My Device: Bold 9900 & Playbook 16GB
My Carrier: Koodo

Hi Lost At Sea,

I have had my play book fo 18 days now and it was working just fine on my home wi-fi...then last week it decided to just stop connecting to wi-fi period. First it didn't connect at home, then it stopped connecting at work and on any other wi-fi spot.

Blackberry and I have been on the phone the past two days to the point I'm on first name basis with the representative (Hey Cathy!) and she has even called me back several times determined as I am to get this rectified! Everything you described is what she pretty much went thru with me to try and fix this issue but now I am at a loss, I reconfigured my router with the help of D-Link and it worked for about 10min and I prematurly celebrated then blinked and it was back to the error message: unable to connect to host OR cannot find IP address or the new one technical difficulties. Sigh...

I love the PB but what good is it to me if it cannot connect to wifi especially at home?? I don't know if I should bring it back to the store (maybe I got a lemon?) or if I should have BB replace it...but if you have any suggestions/solutions please do share! I too live in Ontario, Canada

Signed,

Love my PB but it doesn't love me :-(

Please use plain text.