Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Regular Contributor
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: n/a

Re: Positioning cursor in editable text-field

yes, agree, it needs better accuracy. either they need to make it better or add some left/right/up/down arrows to the kb. it is frustrating to say the least.

@tony86

zooming it is fine, but really, if we wanted to zoom, we would get iponeys. you have to constantly zoom on everything with those.
this does not negate your effort of a solution :smileywink: as in web-cases, it makes a small difference.

hope this gets better.
New Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Vodafone

It's ridiculous that people are suggesting playing games to 'train' yourself to touch the screen more accurately. Truth of the matter is, placing the cursor (when it decides to appear in the first place) is a nightmare on the PlayBook. I'd love to see the cursor placer that appears in WordToGo appear across the entire OS - it's so easy to pinpoint a place with the WordToGo cursor - even easier than the magnifying glass on the iPad.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Thanks, but I don't have the issue and have played the game for hours. PlayBook is a lot more accurate than my Torch, maybe that's why I don't have the issue.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

f2
Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: None

Placing the cursor to edit text is not a nightmare but it is definitely a bad dream.  It is very hard on email where there is NO ZOOM function.  It is also very hard to fix a typo in a url in the browser's address bar.  I've suggested that they create another keypad that comes up with a diagonal swipe from the lower right - brings up a cursor keypad - left/right/up/down, pageup/down/home/end.

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE & PlayBook

chrisfoxx is right - the blue arrow that helps selecting text in WordToGo is awesome! 

Since those arrows already appear to select text, RIM should also use them to make placing the cursor easier.

A cursor keypad - like f2 suggested - is also a nice idea but there should be plenty of better sollutions for touchscreen devices.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out my apps in the BlackBerry World
Visit my developer blogs /dev/alopix and /home/alopix
BBM Channel: C0047B612
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z10, Playbook 32GB
My Carrier: Rogers

ctfish:
I'm preparing a write-up on seekingalpha about RIM. Other than a $70 to $40 share drop due to expectations for the playbook not being met, the rest of the business is very solid. At these prices ($39) there is not additional money to be made shorting RIM.

Maybe the shares will over-shoot negativity, but the scary thing for investors betting against rim is that RIM just needs to launch 6-12 mainstream apps (this depends on 3rd party ie skype, netflix) and suddenly playbook is a success.

Remember that there was no real 7" portable mobile device for tablets out there, and now there is. IPad 2 is successful because there was no previous option available. ipad is also about 2 lbs, and most buyers leave it at home. This is great business for apple, but gives an opportunity for RIM to truly crack the mobile business.

-----------
Chris --- http://www.twitter.com/chrispycrunch
-----------
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z10, Playbook 32GB
My Carrier: Rogers

Also, I agree with the OP - the cursor position setting is frustrating, and the space bar button is too small!

On the plus side, we have copy and paste (hold down finger on a screen to access these functions). You can even copy photos on websites. Hold button down on picture to save photo.
-----------
Chris --- http://www.twitter.com/chrispycrunch
-----------
Contributor
My Device: Z10 and Playbook
My Carrier: Telus

[ Edited ]

Hey Chrispycrunch,

EDIT: Inappropriate Comment Removed. Please review User Guidelines  under section "Be Courteous to other BlackBerry Support Community Forum Members.."

RIM is in tough - they have delays and a stillborn interim OS7 - QNX is going to be a great OS but they may die in the delay.

They are screwed for at least 9 months.

My Device: .
My Carrier: .

Dear Community Members,

This thread appears to be taking a different direction. Please avoid any personal attacks or criticism, While we encourage debates and discussions, we would like it to be carried out in a climate of mutual respect.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Paul-D

Community Moderator

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Bell

Simple solution to the most annoying problem... add a cursor key to the keyboard!!!