Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
louisrielle
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: verizon

Poynt not working on Playbook

Anybody else have issues with Poynt on their blackberry tablet? I have installed it but no icons show up. See below

You should see various option to click. Nothing. I have tried unstalling it and reinstalling it about 5x and nothing. I also noticed anothe glitch when you try pairing it to Blackberry Bold 9650. You will notice the fonts are all wonky.

Horrible support from Poynt. No response from the support staff. It's a free app. So I guess I can't complain.

Please use plain text.
Developer
MauriceRice
My Device: Developer
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Poynt not working on Playbook

[ Edited ]

First the wonky fonts: This is present on my version as well. It is a minor problem that Poynt may get around to fixing at some point.

Secondly, the lack of icons. This too is typical behaviour. The icons appear only after location has been set. As you may note at the top of the screen, the app is trying to get a GPS fix.  I have seen GPS working in this app, so I know that if you wait long enough and conditions are just right, you may get a GPS fix. The GPS hardware is definititely present - it just does not work all that well. This is in not entirely Poynt's fault but I have managed to write an app which locks on better than the poynt app, but its not what you would call reliable.

I would expect that RIM will eventually get around to posting a software update that will address the GPS problems.

As a workaround, you can tap on the bar at the top of the Poynt screen and enter your address. This will at least get Poynt working. for local searches.

If you really want to get GPS tworking on your PB, keep the following things in mind.: (Personally, I don't think it's worth the trouble right now - but things will get better eventually.)

1. reboot your playbook

2. go outside (preferably on a clear day with no trees or tall buildings around)

3. Be prepared to wait a long time. The first fix will take a long time - perhaps 15 or 20 minutes. The GPS needs to download a bunch of info from the GPS satellites the first time. And the process is very slow.

4. GPS does not need wifi to work but neither Ning nor Poynt will start without a connection.

5. Keep your hands away from the lower right hand corner of the device, which is where the GPS chip is rumoured to be located

Good luck.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
louisrielle

[ Edited ]

Thank you so much for the help. I have to add that even for local searches the "Find now" key is not active. Pressing it does nothing.

Or am do I have to press something else.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
MiataMike
My Device: Not Specified

put at least a zipcode into your location by tapping top bar and then top box in popup.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
louisrielle

I've tried putting in my full address. Just a zip code. Nada, nothing on poynt is clickable.  I've tried reinstalling the software close to 10 times. It's pretty much useless.

I am more frustrated with Poynt's support staff than anything. No response than an automated reply to visit their Facebook page. Which wasn't that helpful.

Thank you all for your suggestions. Received more support in the Blackberry community than anywhere else. Blackberry users are awesome.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
MiataMike

did you link poynt with your cellphone? You have to get a code when you link them. After that poynt does NOT have to be running on the phone.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
louisrielle

Similar to the location search feature, once you have entered your phone code in the playbook. The "Go" button is inactive. Pressing on it does nothing.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
MiataMike

sorry, cannot duplicate your issue. My find now button when plugin a zipcode is usable. Guess you tried deleting from PB and phone then reloading the apps.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
louisrielle

Very bizarre. I've tried reinstalling quite a number of times.
Please use plain text.
Hummatk
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Rogers

I have the exact same issue.... I've reinstalled and rebooted and haven't been able to solve the issue.
Please use plain text.