Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
pa_smith
My Device: playbook
Accepted Solution

Presentations

How do use the bb playbook to give presentations?  I was expecting the ap to be in documents to go that comes with the playbook but with tversion that comes only word processing and spreadsheets are supported. No powerpoint application. 

All the advertisements for the playbook show the device being used for presentations as standard.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
TexTucker
My Device: pb

Re: Presentations

Create the ppt on a pc or mac and transfer to playbook by wifi sharing. It will display but not create or modify ppts

My Device: playbook

Thanks

This has worked. 

Have you got any suggestions for what I can use to modify these or create them?

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
TexTucker
My Device: pb

If you can charge it to your business, try smartoffice2 for $£10. Mixed reviews. 

My Device: Bold 9930

Not sure why your PB doesn't have a .ppt application in Docs to Go.  Mine has always had it and I am able to edit the presentations.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
wonder1-47100
My Device: Blackberry Playbook 32GB, OS 2.1.0.1314, with leather case-stand, fast dock charger, dual purpose car/home ReTrak charger... and more!

Hi PA_SMITH,

Regarding your question "Have you got any suggestions for what I can use to modify these or create them?", here is what I have found so far.

EDIT? YES! 

You can certainly MODIFY (EDIT) a Microsoft PPT file on your PlayBook. Just tap the PPT file and place your finger anywhere on a slide and voila, the keyboard will pop up automatically and you can go ahead and type, format, add images or whatever.

CREATE? NO!

The only thing you cannot do is to CREATE a new PowerPoint. You have to use Microsoft's PowerPoint program on a pc or mac to do that.

NOTE: PowerPoint 2007 version has an extension of PPTX (or if you save it to "open is show view" it will be saved with the extension of PPSX. However, if you create a PowerPoint presentation in a newer version of PowerPoint, like I did in PowerPoint 2007 in order to get the 3d effects etc., then save it to the 1997-2003 format which is with the "PPT" extension (you lose some of the 2007 features, though but not all) for ease of use on most computers and on this tablet.  

PLAY OR "RUN"? Dunno yet... still trying to get it to run (see my previous post on that topic) 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
wonder1-47100
My Device: Blackberry Playbook 32GB, OS 2.1.0.1314, with leather case-stand, fast dock charger, dual purpose car/home ReTrak charger... and more!

"PLAY" (run slideshow)? THE ANSWER IS NO, IT CANNOT.

Confirmed: the PlayBook, contrary to the USER GUIDE, cannot "play" ("run") a PPT as a slideshow. :No:

--- Oh sure, you can indeed "VIEW" the individual slides;

---- you can indeed "EDIT" the individual slides;

--- but you CANNOT "PLAY" the slides as a slideshow

To "play" it, you have to MANUALLY forward each slide. This is not what "play" or "run" means to MicroSoft but is apparently what it means to RIM.

I set my PowerPonts up to run automatically, with built-in code (i.e. "custom animations" which control each slide, telling each slide what to do when an event or time occurs). The PlayBook does not have the capability to recognize these controls within each slide of PowerPoint.

RIM should either fix this or edit their USER GUIDE to acknowledge that "play" does not mean "push each slide forward yourself by hand".

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
jaysus858
My Device: Z10, DC, 9810, 9800, 8520, Playbook

Also use your BlackBerry Phone as remote control :smileywink:
Tis Jaysus!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
rwbogar
My Device: Bold 9930

Jaysus,

I enjoy using the BB Bold as the remote control.  I also use it as the external keyboard when I don't want to tap my message on the PB capacitive keyboard.

Please use plain text.