Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
tonyArmitage
My Device: Playbook Tablet (32Gb)
My Carrier: BT infiniti for home use with homehub3

Re: Problems connecting to router since upgrading to the latest os(2.1.0.1032)

[ Edited ]

Just got in and sure enough, the network is up and down like traffic lights! Hum ho. Going to persevere for a while before trying anything else.

*UPDATE*

Its now 2 hours later and the playbook has been connected to the router for 2 hours without any dropouts. I wonder if the behaviour I saw when I first switched it on was due to it trying different channels? I wonder if it remembers the last channel used or not? Just a thought....

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

Unfortunately it's the router that decides which channel, either automatically or by manual setting. Playbook (and any other network device) will slavishly follow the channel and encryption determined by the router. Some network devices will remember things like encryption and it's best to delete any wifi connection and re-enter the SSID and Password to reestablish a fresh saved connection when making major changes to router like moving from wpa+wpa2 to wpa2 for example.

Sorry, I didn't explain myself clearly. I was wondering if the behaviour I was seeing was the playbook negotiating with the router while the playbook identifies the channel.. Still connected... 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
tonyArmitage

Its been a while since I provided an update (and another Playbook OS update - now on 2.1.0.1088). Setting the homehub3 to b/g and channel 9 seemed to help. But.. interestingly I had signed up for BT FON where BT carves off some of your bandwidth to provide a 'free' hotspot to subscribing customers. I have now opted out of it and surprise surprise, the playbook seems to be connecting and holding connection without any dropouts..... I wonder....

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
TroyTempest
My Device: Playbook 32
My Carrier: 3

All the clever folk signed up to FON for their own benefit then got rid of the HH and replaced it with a Netgear or something decent. You could still reprogram the HH to run the BBTalk phones on the side and connect it to a spare ethernet socket. 

They also started signing people up for FON without asking so there are millions of UK folk broadcasting two SSIDs, one of which is not only totally open, but it is also capable of hiving off 500kbps of your valuable bandwidth. They SAID if it was not used then you didn't notice, but as you say, turning it off very often helped!

I left BT for 3G by 3 some years ago, though I do live next door to a 3 mast. 

________
Please use plain text.
Contributor
tonyArmitage

Now that BT fon has been disabled, I've now gone back to b/g/n support and stayed with channel 9 and the playbook connection seems stable. This does seem to point to BT fon being the cause of all the hassle. 

Please use plain text.