Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Regular Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Problems wih contacts automatically linking

I have two email accounts set up on my PB, plus Facebook, plus Twitter, plus LinkedIn.  The contacts app automatically attempts to link these accounts so that when I pull up, for example, John Smith, I get all of his contact info (facebook, email, etc) on one screen.

The problem, though, is that the PB is not linking John Smiths accounts to each other but instead linking totally different contact together in a seeminly random fashion.  So I pull up John Smith's contact, and I see his info intermingled with, say, Sarah Fortis's Facebook info.  Worse, if Sarah Fortis sends me an email, the top banner of that email message then says it's from John Smith.

Anyone else having this problem?  Anyone successfully resolve it other than going into clntacts and manually unlinking them all?  Thanks in advance.

New Contributor
My Carrier: Wifi

Re: Problems wih contacts automatically linking

I have the same problem, and even after manually delinking, the playbook goes ahead and links them again in a seemingly random fashion. Very disheartened to see no responses to your post, I suspect many others experiencing this.

It's done a real job on my work contacts. I would be happy enough to just stop the autolinking and let me do it myself, but can't see any option for that.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

[ Edited ]

The messages app is supposed  to link only people with same first and last name. 

Seeing as this post was not answered earlier in August either, and the manual does not suggest a remedy, then maybe the problem is specific to your account and email provider combination, and in fact people are not suffereing this in any numbers.

So I would suggest you  use the Messages app for email only and use either the plain browser with bookmarks for social networking or the specific Facebook and Twitter apps.  You should get status messages sent to your email address anyway I guess. 

Most similar problems in the forum have been when using email with social network accounts in Messages, Removing the social stuff usually remedies it. 

Social networking providers do their best to cross contaminate and maybe this app puts the final touches to it.

I know people do use them for business so I will suppress my usual derision for such "social" networking services, but I admit to never using them on Playbook, so more informed advice is still welcomed. 

My Carrier: Wifi

I thought the whole point of the universal inbox and contacts app was to pull all of your contact info from multiple sources together and aggregate them for convenience. Certainly linkedin is a very useful tool to have blended with work contact info and loved seeing that info collated into my calendar for appointments etc. Twitter and Facebook are rather annoying, I agree.

I'm deleting the Facebook, twitter and linkedin accounts, them am going to do a reboot and see what happens. Will report back.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor
My Carrier: Verizon

It's like the old joke where the guy goes to the doctor and says, "Doc, my arm hurts when I do this," lifting his arm up in the air. The doctor replies, "Then don't do that."

Yeah, we ought to be able to actually use the PB features as adverised. Clearly this is a bug that they hopefully are aware of and will fix. I have deleted all of my accounts, then added them all back. So far, I don't seem to be having the issue.

This isn't the first time I've "solved" this issue that way, though. Then, after a debrick for a sofware update, I'll find the problem reemerge after adding my accounts back. Like I said, let's hope this wasn't on the "to do" desk of one of the people they laid off. The message app is otherwise fantastic; I'd like to see this resolved.