Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Regular Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook tablet
Accepted Solution

Rapid charger

BB rapid charger/stand works on 100-240v, but it has been sold with a generic cable which works on 125v only. So, charger can be used overseas, where electricity is 240V, but its cable would not work without a converter.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: PlayBook 32 & 64 GB & Torch 9860

Re: Rapid charger

You need the plug connector for Europe and other countries. The charger itself automatically adjusts fir the different voltage as you have mentioned.
Regular Contributor

It is not just a plug connector. That's easy. The problem is that cable works on 125v only, so in order to work on 240v, it needs a 1kg heavy electricity converter. I would not carry a converter in my suitcase when travelling abroad

Forums Veteran I
My Device: PlayBook 32 & 64 GB & Torch 9860

I think you are wrong. It will work as long as you have the adapter.
Regular Contributor

It says on the cable, plus on a large white tag attached on it,  that it works on 125v. Would you plug it into 240v nevertheless?

I would not.

Super Contributor
My Device: pb

[ Edited ]

Take a look at the small print on the back. My UK version says "Input 100-240V".  If yours says the same then you just need a Yank to European converter for two bucks, not a transformer.  

If it says "Input 100-115V" then you should not use it in Europe.

As far as cable is concerned, the 125V cable will be THICKER than a 240V cable for the same power (Power = amps x volts) so you can use the 125V cable on 240V on the same device.

Just don't take chances with 240V as it will kill you if you touch it in bare feet or in the bathroom unlike 110V which wil just shock. 

I live in CA, and purchased rapid charger on Amazon.

Charger is original and it say 110-240v, as do all other BB devices.

Cable says the following: LS-15, 7A 125v, Linetek, E 70782.

Can I plug this charger into an electrical outlet in Europe using Linetek 125v cable( with plug adaptor), but not a transformer?

Trusted Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Playbook

Electric cables are rated for a combination of voltage and amperage.  Basically, it is the electrical load that is the limit, not voltage in and of itself.  North American standards do not require cables to be rated for all the voltage / amperage combinations that might exist.

Since the PlayBook's charger has an automatic switch for 110/220V, then the current being drawn trough the cable to the wall will not change and the existing wire going to the wall is safe for use.

I had no problems plugging in my electronics during my last trip to the Czech Republic.  I used a plug adapter and all my original electrical cables normally used with the electronics to plug in.  I just made sure the devices were rated for 110/220 volt use.

Bottom line, you only need a plug adapter and not a wall transformer.  Getting a wall tranformer will be a waste of money.

PlayBook 64GB and 32 GB
Super Contributor
My Device: pb

SlaKir wrote:

I live in CA, and purchased rapid charger on Amazon.

Charger is original and it say 110-240v, as do all other BB devices.

Cable says the following: LS-15, 7A 125v, Linetek, E 70782.

Can I plug this charger into an electrical outlet in Europe using Linetek 125v cable( with plug adaptor), but not a transformer?

I just told you - YES

Thank you VERY much.

Now I can take a charger (and this cable) with me when I go to Europe.

I found it hard to believe that a BB charger has been sold with a cable that works only in the States.