Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Regular Contributor
SlaKir
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook tablet
Accepted Solution

Re Security

What kind of a firewall, antivirus etc. PlayBook needs? Please, advise.

Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea
My Device: PlayBook 64 GB & Torch 9860

Re: Re Security

There are no known viruses that attack BlackBerry Devices. Therefore there are no antivirus programs for it.
Regular Contributor
SlaKir

Is there a need for a firewall?

Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea

No.
Regular Contributor
SlaKir

That's great. Why Playbook does not need such programs and PC or a laptop does?

What makes the difference?

Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea

Hackers have been attacking Microsoft since the early 80's. Now they are beginning to pick on Apple. RIM has setup a great secure system from day 1. It can be a bit more difficult to get BlackBerry Products up and running but once set up, they are very secure.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

Lost_at_Sea wrote:
... Now they are beginning to pick on Apple. ...

..with very little success, apart from the Flashback attack which was a flaw in Java and immediately fixed with a patch  update. Even though OSX, Linux and QNX are inherently safe, third party services like Flash and Java, and malicious apps are still a way in.   I would hope that if there was a vulnerability in (say) Flash, that RIM would issue a patch as fast as Apple did with the Flashback.

Lastly, If I had opened the email I got from the xxxxx bank yesterday in my Playbook it would have rendered me open to losing all my money. Nothing will protect against that apart from education.  Fortunately I don't have an account with them, and I would never click on such a link anyway.  

I would say with Playbook and Apple I am safe provided I never fall for these phishing scams.

Windoze - now there's a different story, and the most advanced security feature they added (account control) is the first one that people turn off!

Glad I've purchased BB.

I have been using PC and a laptop for many years, and by now I am tired, like everyone else is, of protecting them with this program or/patch and that antivirus, firewall etc against many different but constant attacks.

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

I posted some good info here

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-PlayBook/Can-my-PlayBook-have-a-virus/m-p/1933219/...

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V