Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook 64GB
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Re: Unable to delete files extracted from zip

Sorry should have been clearer.

I downloaded a zipped folder through the PBs internet browser, then unzipped again on the playbook. The images unzipped fine, can view them in Pictures. If I pull down the menu can select images for deletion but when I then click the bin nothing happens. A similar thing happens with Desktop, can open the images and select them for deletion but when I then tell it to delete I get a message saying it's unable to delete. If I look at the files through My Computer going to the Playbook drive and into the Downloads folder I can open the folder the images are in, looking at properties the folder has read only ticked, as do the images. If I unclick read only  and apply the change to all subfolders and files then click apply it appears to change with read only no longer ticked. If I then try delete get the same message. On checking the properties again it shows as read only again despite having apparently been able to change it previously.

Solutions: 6,115
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

OK, and this is now a PlayBook. I didn't know, since you had posted in the smartphones section of the forum.

Let me get this moved over to the Playbook section of this forum. :smileywink:

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Developer
My Device: Z30 / PlayBook 64GB
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile UK

What app did you unzip the files with? I'd suggest using the same one to delete the files.

It sounds like a permissions problem, and without going too much into why this occurs, the same app will likely remedy it.

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion, the only application I have able to do that beyond the built in is File Manager, trying to do it through that I just get the message 'unable to delete file'.

Developer

OK - so how did you extract the files from the .zip?

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
New Contributor

Afraid I can't remember exactly, I definitely downloaded it through the browser so I expect would have tried to open it directly through the downloads and only used file manager had it not been able to access it that way.

Developer

That's my point, the native browser and file manager won't unzip files.

Try this:
Go to AppWorld and download 'Ghost Commander'
Use this app to try and delete your files.

Let us know how it goes.

New Contributor

Right, tried as suggested, found the jpgs in downloads, gives the message 'Nothing was deleted unable to delete <filename>'.

Visitor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: none

[ Edited ]

I have downloaded some compressed files, which once unzipped are impossible to delete. It says I don't have permission required. As anyone found a solution or a way to delete them.

Solutions: 6,115
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Cocolabine, please clearly state your issue.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code