Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

krox
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 32GB
My Carrier: none

Re-install Playbook OS 1.0

Hello everyone! I bought a BlackBerry PlayBook 32GB earlier this year and it came shipped with the OS 1.0.8. Currently I'm running the latest stable release 2.0.1.358.
The problem is that I have quite a few problems after updating.

Sometimes, the playbook connects to my WiFi network but I'm not able to use it for browsing (while my laptop, desktop and phone work perfectly well at that time); sometimes the it takes around 15-20 seconds for it to unlock after pressing the lock button or using the screen swipe gesture. When I connect it to my PC, the Desktop manager show the OS version as 1.0. I reinstalled the desktop software but it is just the same case again (I've also tried on different PCs but the result is the same). This was never the case before OS 2.0. I also used to get the Black Screen of Death but that was solved after a security wipe. It has also become very unstable. It hangs sometimes and requires a restart.

In the browser, when a history for a lot of days is stored or some more bookmarks are added, it starts slowing down. Whenever I clear all of the cookies, history blah blah, the browser crashes. It starts working fine when I restart it.

In the music player, sometimes the song simply do not play. It requires a restart of the music player to get fixed.

I have never even tried to root it or install the beta OS releases. I have security wiped quite a few times. Still no luck. These problems just start occurring after some time.

So, I want to ask, IS THERE A WAY TO REINSTALL OS 1.0? I want to try to start everything from scratch hoping that it will solve the problem. Will force reinstalling the OS from the Desktop Software do this? If yes, what will be the size of the update download?

Problems aside, this tablet works wonderfully when it works. I had never been a BlackBerry user before but now I'm a fan.
Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
aandras
My Device: Z10 & Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Re: Re-install Playbook OS 1.0

You can not downgrade your pb. But many of your problems are fixable.
Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
aandras
My Device: Z10 & Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

The desktop software and version differences. Do the following:

Disconnect the PB from the computer.
Uninstall the Device Manager.
Reboot your computer (for good measure)
Connect the PB using the USB cable.
Now you should see a PlayBook CD-ROM.
In that CD-ROM you will find version 7 of the Device Manager, install it.
Once installed disconnect the PB from the computer.
Wait for about 15 seconds then plug it back in.
Windows should detect new device and start Device Manager. It may take up to two minutes for windows to detect and properly install.
Then device manager will map 'z' drive to the PB.

Minor update - I spent some time in Windows Device Manager, and as per KB29957
Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
Please use plain text.
krox
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 32GB
My Carrier: none

Sorry, i forgot to mention it but, I have already tried it. It did not work.
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
rat-7
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 + Z30 + Playbook 64
My Carrier: Rogers

if you find how to get back to OS 1, let me know, I wish that I could go back at least everything was working wih OS1, not so much with the lastest OS

---------------------------------------------
Using the Playbook and the Z10 and the Z30 and loving them

Martin
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea
My Device: PlayBook 64 GB & Torch 9860
My Carrier: Cogeco

Apparently there is a way to go back to the previous version of the OS but I don't think you can go back to version 1.0 . I have not done this so I can't vouch for it. You may want to go to Crackberry.com to check it out.
TUTORIAL DOWNGRADE 2.1.0.358 to 2.0.0.7971

Download 2 Softwares :
1. Dingleberry 3.3
2. OS 2.0.0.7971
Make sure development mode is ON

STEPs :
1. Make sure that your OS is 2.1.0.358 and use DM 7.0.0.41 (new update driver from your PB)
2. Ekstrack dingleberry then run dingleberry.exe
3. You need to run dinglebery for the first time to make firmware folder appear then close dingleberry.
4. Open your OS 2.0.0.07971 and ekstrack it then put in the folder custom
5. Connect your PB to your PC then DM will shown up.
6. Run dingleberry.exe then click on Firmware Button.
7. The firmware main view will shown up and make sure USB Information on the rightside is connected.
8. Click on button on the leftside and choose custom
9. Right button you can choose Core OS or Full OS. I choose Core OS
10. And click the Update button below and wait until it finished (dont break any connection).
11. After finished your PB will restart on goes back to 2.0.0.7971 without any notification for updating to 2.1.0.358. Close your DM.