Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook OS 2,0
My Carrier: celcom 0192121503
Accepted Solution

Re: stolen Playbook. Is the BB PIN the same as unique identifier? Mine is this format 14:**:1*:a2:**:18

- as I am hoping the slacker who took it logs in. But where can I trace it? 

Any help much appreciated. 

Mick Hunt 

Hall of Famer II
My Device: PRIV (5.1.1), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: stolen Playbook. Is the BB PIN the same as unique identifier? Mine is this format 14:**:1*:a2:**:18

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

The PIN is indeed a unique identifier to that specific device, but I'm not at all sure how you will accomplish tracking. Typically, such requires the pre-installation of some tracking app onto the device, which you would later activate so as to find it's location. But, I do not know if such even exist for the PB's at all.

Good luck!

Get your 15% discount at ShopBlackBerry.com! Click Here for details.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.
Super Contributor
My Device: Playbook 32
My Carrier: 3

[ Edited ]

That looks like a MAC number.  PIN format is 8 characters like 12345DD1

If you did know the PIN of the old playbook you could video call it (from another Playbook) using the PIN number as contact address. May not get it back but it would annoy the heck out of the thief!!!

________
New Contributor

Appreciate the help. I thought it was a MAC number too. 

Turns out the old fashioned route worked to get my PB back. The bank in which it was stolen let me review their CCTV 

after I produced a police report. Ironic and strange that I was lucky it was genuinely taken by staff who were responsible for changing cash in the ATM. 

Of course he meant to give it back when he was collared, which of course explains why he watched Twilight on it and changed the desktop!

Many thanks again. Relieved of Kuala Lumpur. 

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

Now you can make a note of the pin for next time!

My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314), Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746), Z10 (OS 10.3.1.1581)

FinnMaia wrote:

Appreciate the help. I thought it was a MAC number too. 

Turns out the old fashioned route worked to get my PB back. The bank in which it was stolen let me review their CCTV 

after I produced a police report. Ironic and strange that I was lucky it was genuinely taken by staff who were responsible for changing cash in the ATM. 

Of course he meant to give it back when he was collared, which of course explains why he watched Twilight on it and changed the desktop!

Many thanks again. Relieved of Kuala Lumpur. 

I'm pleased to hear you got some satisfaction catching the thief! Congratulations.

If I were you, I'd change all usernames and passwords related to your BlackBerry. That means changing your password on your BB ID and if you have bought apps, change the credit card information related to the account. It doesn't hurt to let your bank know that your tablet was stolen and that "if" you had a credit card related to the account, to monitor the transactions. They'll make a note of it on your account.

New Contributor

Much appreciated. That hit me at 2am on Wed, which I got up and did. 

Forums Veteran I
My Device: PlayBook 32 & 64 GB & Torch 9860, Z30
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

When out and about, use a security password on your Playbook. Will save a lot of heartache later.
Regular Contributor
My Device: BB ZED 10
My Carrier: Fido

Also, just an FYI, if you connect your PB to desktop manager, it keeps your pin in the program. So if you open desktop manager, you will see your device is not connected and it also shows the pin of it. AND, if hadn't got it back, you could call RIM and report it stolen and give them your PIN and they would block all future connections to app world, internet, etc. As soon as you connect to the internet, you register with BB servers, that is how they find you to tell you that you have updates. I had one stolen back in Feb. and whoever has it now, just has a paperweight that they can not connect to the internet without being found out.

Smile, it makes people wonder what you are up to. Smiley Happy
New Contributor

Ah, that's more like it if RIM can blacklist a BB through the PIN (block MAC I guess). 

I never heard any user do this. Anyone got a story on that?