Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
Kerry2112
My Device: PlayBook 64GB
My Carrier: Wi-fi only

Recurring "download unsuccessful" message

Minor but annoying issue. For the last couple of weeks (both before and after the OS upgrade to 2.1), I have been getting recurring "download unsuccessful" messages at random intervals. The notice pops up and always gives the same date (September 29) and time. It also shows the green Android logo. At first I thought this message was somehow associated with a sideloaded Android app (I use 3 different ones and have tried and then deleted others), as the message would usually pop up when I started an Android app. But now it seems to happen at random intervals, even if I'm not running an Android app.

Is there some way I can make it stop trying to download whatever it is that it's trying to download, or otherwise stop this popup message? I have tried uninstalling all Android apps, shutting down and restarting the tablet, and reinstallng the Android apps, to no avail.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
hmthepirate
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Recurring "download unsuccessful" message

Hello Kerry2112 and welcome to the BlackBerry® Support Community Forums.

To clarify, are you referring to an application download from BlackBerry App World™ or an email?

Is it possible you can provide a screen shot of this error?

What software version are you now running on your BlackBerry® PlayBook™ tablet?

Thanks!

-HMthePirate

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Kerry2112

Thanks for the reply. I'm running OS 2.1.0.1032.

The notification shown in the attached screencap appears whenever I run an Android app, or whenever I wake the tablet after it has been asleep for awhile. I have tried deleting all Android apps. When I do that, the message no longer appears, but it begins to appear again whenever I sideload and run any Android app. The details of the "download unsuccessful" message (which I hope you can make out) never change (ie, date and time shown).

IMG_00000002.png

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
hmthepirate
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Can you provide the names of the Android apps you run when this message appears?

If you tap on the X on the right of this notification, does it remove it or just dismiss it?

-HMthePirate

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Kerry2112

Thanks for staying with me on this. I can report the following (have done some experimentation)!

1) The only Android apps I'm running are BMO, Tweadle and SugarSync. I think I have sideloaded and deleted two or three others, but I don't recall them specifically (a couple of Twitter apps, maybe).

2) Not sure what you mean by the distinction between removing the notification and dismissing it. If I tap the x, it will disappear, but will return. Same if I tap the notification itself. (Remember, the details of the notification (date and time of the "unsuccessful download" are always the same.)

3) I tried deleting all 3 Android apps. After this, the message goes away and does not reappear. However, if I re-install ANY of the 3 apps, the message immediately begins to appear again. Doesn't seem to matter which one I install.

4) The message will always appear the first time I try to access one of the Android apps, but will not always reappear on subsequent access. Also, the message appears whenever I wake the PlayBook when it has been in standby for awhile.

Hope this information helps. I've learned to live with forever having to dismiss this notification, but it would be great if I could get rid of it for good!

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

[ Edited ]

Kerry2112 wrote:

Thanks for staying with me on this. I can report the following (have done some experimentation)!

1) The only Android apps I'm running are BMO, Tweadle and SugarSync. I think I have sideloaded and deleted two or three others, but I don't recall them specifically (a couple of Twitter apps, maybe).

2) Not sure what you mean by the distinction between removing the notification and dismissing it. If I tap the x, it will disappear, but will return. Same if I tap the notification itself. (Remember, the details of the notification (date and time of the "unsuccessful download" are always the same.)

3) I tried deleting all 3 Android apps. After this, the message goes away and does not reappear. However, if I re-install ANY of the 3 apps, the message immediately begins to appear again. Doesn't seem to matter which one I install.

4) The message will always appear the first time I try to access one of the Android apps, but will not always reappear on subsequent access. Also, the message appears whenever I wake the PlayBook when it has been in standby for awhile.

Hope this information helps. I've learned to live with forever having to dismiss this notification, but it would be great if I could get rid of it for good!

Kerry, I have to point out something that may not be obvious to you, but it is obvious to me when I look at your attached screenshot. Your Wi-Fi is not green, which means, it is off or you do not have a working connection. Click on the Wi-Fi icon (and insure the slider is set to on). That's probably the reason the Android App says the download was unsuccessful. If not, then delete your Wi-Fi settings (click on the gear icon and look for Wi-Fi settings and manage it that way by deleting and then recreating the connection). If you get a green Wi-Fi connection then you'll most likely be on the right track...

Also, are you sideloading Android apps using software called DDPB (or some other method) or are you downloading them and installing them through the BlackBerry App world? The reason I ask is because when you press and hold on an icon on the desktop to delete it by pressing on the trashcan icon, it doesn't always really delete the Android App - the icon disappears but the program remains on disk. You can use an application called ES File Explorer Ghost Commander which in itself is an Android App, and will enable you to remove Android apps (and a whole lot of other useful things - it's a great app). I have used it personally and it works. But it is very powerful and you can screw things up on your system if you don't use it properly.

Anyhow, using Android apps from anywhere but from the BB App World is not advisable in my experience for you can't be sure the uninstall procedure will work properly otherwise - unless you know what you're doing and how to handle borked uninstalls. If you are using DDPB then you can reinstall the exact same apps again, overtop of the other ones, and then use DDPB's uninstall feature which will then remove the Android App for good.

I don't think sideloading apps is actually condoned by RIM unless the Android ported apps are downloaded via their App World (even if the apps you are using are free), so I wouldn't be surprised if you don't get a whole lot of help on here...just pointing that out.  

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Kerry2112

Thanks, chaos. Regarding the screenshot, I did it at work where I have no Wifi. Problem happens at home with good Wifi as well.

Yes, I have used DDPB to side load, as well as the Chrome extension. Your suggestion about re-loading using DDPB and then uninstalling using same is an intriguing one - will give that a try. My concern is that I may have improperly uninstalled previous Android apps that I don't even remember. Will ES File Explorer be of any help in that case, I wonder?

In any event, thanks for your assistance. Much appreciated!

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

[ Edited ]

I actually told you the wrong name of the app to use and that's because I wasn't on my PB at the time (doing it from memory) but now that I am looking at it, the app is called Ghost Commander and the good news is that it's free and in the BB App World - yay!

https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/78977/?lang=en

I am going to update my previous post with the correct name. For the record ES File explorer is an excellent file manager with FTP support but that's not the program we need in this case.

With Ghost Commander, you get a VERY powerful program that will list the Android apps installed on the machine and by pressing and holding on the appropriate app in the listing you want to manage, you can press delete and it will really delete the app. The problem with giving this information out to people who aren't exactly technically savvy is that if you delete the wrong file, you may end up having to do a full OS reinstall...ya no fun!

My personal advice is to try and remember which apps you installed through DDPB and then try reinstalling each one and then using DDPB again uninstall them once more. For the ones you can't remember, then use Ghost Commander. Hopefully you'll get things sorted out.

If not, you can always backup all your files, contacts, media, etc and then do a Desktop OS Restore to nuke the PB back to factory condition again. Then you can redownload all the paid apps you have and you can start from scratch basically. From now on though, install and uninstall sideloads from DDPB and do not rely on the trash icon method of uninstallation on the PlayBook. DDPB a clumsy program to use properly I know (having to have items checked in the list is annoying), but it works well.

As for the Chrome extension, I have no experience with it as I don't run Chrome (I like punishment - I use FireFox!) so I don't know much about how it works to use to install or uninstall apps.

Oh, by the way, you are most welcome! These are the experiences I went through myself so I know where you're coming from. RIM themselves most likely wouldn't be much help.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Kerry2112

Well, I was untimately too chicken to use Ghost Commander to try to delete these Android apps. I reinstalled all the Android apps I could think of having previously installed using DDPB and then uninstalled them. Problem remains - it seems ANY app of Android origin, even if I get it through App World, will trigger the notification again.

I did, by accident, achieve a breakthrough in understanding how this problem happened, though. Last night, I was using Tweedle to peruse my Twitter timeline when I clicked a link to read a story (in Tweedle's browser). That story itself contained a link to download a file. Forgetting that I was not on the PlayBook browser, I clicked the link to downloed the file. I got a "download unsuccessful" message like the one in the screenshot I attached earlier and now BOTH those notifications appear. So the problem stems from attempting to do a download using the built-in browser of an Android app. If you try, the download will be unsuccessful, and I'm guessing launching these Android apps triggers another attempt to do the download.

So the question is how to make it either successfully download the file or give up trying.

Or I might be out to lunch entirely...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Kerry2112

Oh well, I finally decided to bite the bullet and do a security wipe. I haven't tried to sideload any Android apps since and all is now well.

Please use plain text.