Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Developer
wolfier
My Device: Not Specified

Redundant OS updates

[ Edited ]

I'm seeing an OS update of 1MB being available after deleting web shortcuts to websites I never go to, e.g. Twitter, or pre-installed software Slacker Radio.

These are certainly NOT part of the OS.  RIM could you please draw a clean line between OS, Apps and shortcuts?  People who choose not to open a Twitter account should not be forced to have that icon showing up after every OS update.

On the Blackberries at least there's a separation of "OS", "Add-On", or "Third-party Apps".

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,932
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Redundant OS updates

You can always hide the icon instead... much less problematic than deleting and getting constant OS update notications.

And, yea, maybe this will change.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Developer
wolfier
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Redundant OS updates

[ Edited ]

If there is a way to hide the icon, I cannot find it.  Is it possible?

I really don't want to use Bing Map, and especially, Slacker Radio, or anything that requires me to create a new account on more web sites.

I don't want to see it go down the very, very slippery slope of unremovable carrier branding and carrier scamware, etc.  I really need to remove or at the very least hide these garbage.

My gripe is forcing these partnership apps as part of "OS" updates because it neither sounds like a technical issue (e.g. power button) or timeline issue (e.g. Android player availability) - just decisions that were made by their partnership or legal department (which means they'll never get fixed) - these kind of things weaken the desirability of the tablet - they need to be aware of it.

Please use plain text.