Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
darkrats
My Device: Unknown

Rescue data from Dead Playbook

My playbook is dead. Out of warranty. Tried every method posted to get it working.

Watched some videos about taking the playbook apart.

I was unable to tell where data is stored (pictures). Probably on a chip of some kind.

Given that I will not be able to get the playbook working:

Is it possible to take it apart, find the chip (or something) that stores the data and then somehow hook it up to a PC in order to retrieve the data (pictures). I don't care if the playbook is destroyed in the process; just would like to save the important family pictures that were on it.

Any comments would be appreciated.

I am only interested in getting the pictures, not in saving the playbook.

Thanks.

JSanders
Solutions: 5,982
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Rescue data from Dead Playbook

I wouldn't begine to tell you what chip or whatever to pull and think you're going to save your pictures.

The only way I know is to get your PlayBook back started, and I do believe it's possible.

1. Get a rapid charger unit and use it. Many users have been successful with this.

2. Jump start a PlayBook a knottyrope tip

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
japster369
My Device: Bold 9930

If the battery goes too dead, I don't know a way to get the data off.  My wife's PB went dead from a drained battery, and I was able to get it going again, but not without reloading the OS and clearing all the data.  Best of luck to you, and if you figure out a way, please post.  I'd love to know how for future reference.

New Contributor
darkrats
My Device: Unknown

I'm thinking about two approaches to my problem:

1) Open up the Playbook and carefully disconnect the battery from the motherboard. Then visit and store that specializes in batteries for all kinds of computer products. Show them the battery and see if I can get a similar one, even if it won't fit inside the case. Then hook it up and if all goes well, get the data off (assuming it's still there).

2) Open up the Playbook and connect the charger wires directly to the battery and see if it will take a charge. Then get the data off (assuming it's still there).

I'll probably try this next week, and post back any results.

JSanders
Solutions: 5,982
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Regarding your #2, see my #2 suggestion above. It's what you need to do. Good luck. Let us know.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code