Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Developer
My Device: Playbook 16GB and Z10
My Carrier: Verizon

Reviews are bogus, results are legit

I live in a pretty poor town in Texas and I went to the Best Buy here on the 19th and there were no lines and they had about 7 PlayBooks and no display unit.  I then went in today and they were completely sold out and still no display unit!  I see this as a HUGE success for RIM!  I use to live in a more wealthy area and when I did Rock Band was REALLY popular and I couldnt find it ANYWHERE (Best Buy, GameStop, etc), but then I went to this poor town and they had stacks of them in their Best Buy (the one I go to now).  

So all in all this Best Buy had iPad's to spare but no PlayBooks in poor college town, good job RIM!

Fitbit for BlackBerry PlayBook
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Tour alarm clock
My Carrier: nada

Re: Reviews are bogus, results are legit

You never mentioned whether you purchased one..your title is fitting, but because RIM BBPB didn't have people lined up overnight or around the block only means that...people didn't camp out overnight or line up around the block. But the "Reviews" are right. I love my BBPB and have faith that it will get MUCH better. but for now, the thing does suck.
From an Apple or Android device
Developer
My Device: Playbook 16GB and Z10
My Carrier: Verizon

I will purchase one once the stock is replentished.  Yea they don't have lines or campers but they had this biggest launch day sale since the iPad.

We all have to be honest, Apple is leading this market and they have a TON of followers and for good reasons.  America is goo-goo over Apple and the rest of the world is getting there.  Most reviews of any tablet so far say "Not an iPad-killer" heck even smart phones there hasn't been a "iPhone-killer" yet.

So in the scope of the current market where if you are anything BUT Apple you are destined to fail, RIM pulling off 50,000 sales on launch day is huge!  Yea it may be "incomplete" in a lot of areas but if you ignore the iPad and focus on the fact that RIM has only ever made phones and they just made their first "PC" I say its a VERY good start.  It executes multitasking great, gives you the web without limits, movies, music, apps (should be considered beta since they were rushed to market) and more.  If this was the first tablet to market it would blow everyone away, because the iPad 1st gen sucks, the iPhone 1st gen sucks even more, but because they were first to market people are amazed!

Its all about perspective when looking at this market, and right now the old saying could never be true "Timing is everything".

Fitbit for BlackBerry PlayBook
RJK
Contributor
My Device: Playbook

I bought mine in a Best Buy store in NV. Last 64Gb one in stock, no 32Gb's and perhaps a dozen 16Gb. Biggest problem I've had is finding accessories for it. Fast chargers are hard to come by, and have yet to find any of the cool magnetic ones anywhere. Even at the airport en route home to Canada the store at the airport had little or nothing in the way of accessories (covers aside), and not may PB's of any form

A runaway success if RIM intended to sell out shortly after launch.
Contributor
My Device: 9000
My Carrier: Rogers

After having my BBPB for 5 days I went back to Futureshop last Saturday to get a microHDMI and a case for the BBPB. Sold out. While standing by the display unit and the adjacent storage case for the BBPB I saw two people waiting for the salesperson to return with the key. When the sales person arrived the first guy bought 3 32 gig units, the second guy bought 2 16gig and 1 16gig units. I thought I was seeing things wrong and asked the first guy why. Well he bought one on Tuesday and now wanted additional units for employees. I then started to get real nosey and checked out what others were buying. A LOT of people were carrying new BBPB's. I then saw two people in their cars in the parking lot opening the BBPB boxes. All true!

Quiet success, no long lines but strong sales. I refer to my BBPB as the adult tablet.