Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
awinfo
My Device: Torch 9800 OS6.0.0.668, Playbook OS2.1.0.1088, Bridge v2.1.0.32

RfC: TAB-key or equal function on digital keyboard

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I don't know if this is the place to request for a change, but here it is anyway:

Whenever the keyboard pops up on screen it hinders in the overview of fields you may be required to fill in for whatever application pop-up.

These pop-up windows usually seem to be rather small, so that trying to move it up can either not be done or is really annoying, actually I never managed to get it moved upwards to display the next field.

You constantly need to tap away the keyboard, tap the next field you want to enter data in and the keyboard appears again.

Now, striking just one key on the keyboard with a similar function as the TAB-key on a physical keyboard for jumping from field to field, would improve usability.

Or make these pop-ups (usually from the PB-OS) more easily movable, perhaps?

Or am I missing something and is there another way out of this hassle?

Contributor
awinfo

Re: RfC: TAB-key or equal function on digital keyboard

[ Edited ]

:smileyembarrassed: :Oops:

I can simply turn the tablet from landscape to portrait mode! Stupid.

Anyway, but what if I locked that to always being in landscape mode? Do I need to constantly unlock it then?

Or should the PB OS do that for me automatically?

Example: when changing the password for access to documents through Wifi.

Trusted Contributor
BB4matt
My Device: Z30, Torch 9800, Playbook

I might not get your question right but if one for example fills out a  PB contact list then clicking the ’next’ key advances all fields up by 1 so one can edit the next field without leaving the keyboard .

However, not all apps invoke the next key; so maybe this is what you would like to propose: “Make a small box move up to “visibility” with the ‘next’ key and I second this good idea. This means of course that the page’s substructure allows this feature and would rest with the page's software developer.

Btw, If you lock the PB in ‘landscape’ it stays there till you unlock it. This option did not exist on OS1. You can simple unlock it if you need the other mode (click the left icon beside the ‘Bluetooth’ icon).

Contributor
awinfo

[ Edited ]

I see what you mean. I Did not know it was there. I've never added contacts manually. Useful. The Next key should show up every time you need to fill out more than one field, I would say.

Good suggestion.

I know you can unlock the landscape mode, but that's yet another tap, you see?

It's all about usability in my opinion, that supports quick processing of whatever you want to do. 

In my company we have business application, a simple one, that's ugly as hell (early 90's straight forward GUI), but has a superb usability and therefore is used very well, and in the way it is meant to be used and is liked for its usability.

Looking good is important as well, but not that important.

Make it work (back-end structure), than make it look good (GUI).

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone from RIM is going to pick up this RfC?