Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

SAVING EMAIL ATTACHMENTS TO THE CLOUD

When I am travelling, I would like to replace my laptop with my Playbook and mini keyboard but I can't for one limiting factor.  I need to be able to save files from email attachments directly to a cloud service like box or dropbox or attach files from the cloud to an email I want to send.

I do not think this is currently possible but can someone verify if this is true?  Is there a 3rd party email app that can do this?

Does RIM have a feature suggestion forumn that people can vote on additions they would like to see.

Without this feature, the playbook is too inefficient to replace my laptop while I am travelling.

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: SAVING EMAIL ATTACHMENTS TO THE CLOUD

Files & Folders can save files to the cloud, and can also e-mail files directly from the cloud with most e-mail services. Take the free trial version for a spin to see whether it works for you:

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
New Contributor

Thank you for the response.

I already use and purchased files and folders and like the program very much as it allows me to access all of my cloud services like box and dropbox.

I send a lot of emails to customers like quotes, product brochures, invoices etc.  When I am on the road, I do this all from my laptop and is very fast and efficient.  To only use files and folders, it is a bit bulky because I can't just reply to an someones email and attach the file I would like.  I need to first download the file from the cloud and then attach it so it is extra steps process.

Also the same the other way, if want to save a file from an email, need to save it to documents and then move it.

Unfortunately, my email files directly funtion doesn't seem to work, I get an error message when I try to do it (can't remember what it says off the top of my head and I don't have the PB with me ATM).

Have you thought of expanding your products you develop and sell, could you make an email app that allows this.  I would pay a lot of money for this as it would make the PB just like my laptop for functionality.

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

Hi Cangolf,

Unfortunately the PlayBook OS has no mechanism that allows us to do this directly - yet. It is expected to be possible in BB10, which we plan to support. This should allow us to extend the native e-mail client to save email attachments directly to the cloud. It should also allow us to replace our limited e-mail client with the native PlayBook e-mail system.

The first BB10 phones will be coming on January 30th, and we estimatethe PlayBook will be upgraded to BB10 3-6 months after that.

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply.  I didn't think there would be a solution for this at the moment or I would have found one on forumns.

I am looking forword to the launch of the BB10, and I am glad to hear developers supporting the new line.

It is too bad that the Playbook wasn't launched with a little more business functionality becuase with its multi-tasking, simple swiping etc., it can be a very powerfull tool once they add on the functions you mention.  I hope someone from RIM reads this.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: PlayBook 32 & 64 GB & Torch 9860, Z30
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

You can save email attachments directly to your PlayBook. Hold your finger on the attachment for a few seconds and a popup screen opens giving you a selection.
New Contributor

The "selection" is only to give it a file name, you can not select which location you would like to save it to and it definitely does not give you an option to save it to a cloud based service which I am attempting to do.