Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

rbchip
My Device: Playbook

Screen Timeout to short

Is there any plans to change the screen timeout to a longer duration. I am a musician and would like to use my playbook for my song charts on stage. However it keeps turning off, in order to turn it on I have to use two hands to do so, which I can't do while playing guitar.

The apps in the App store that support song charts time out as well. The word processor that comes with the playbook is far superior than them anyway.

I love everything else about my playbook, however if this doesn't change I will have to purchase a tablet that will let you increase the screen timeout and stop using the playbook. If I had of known this before purchasing, I never would of gotten a playbook as this is the main reason I got it. The other tablets on the market will allow this.

Losing a customer(s) over a screen timeout is actually pretty senseless, but that's the reality. As it is my playbook does not do what I need it to.

My next show is in a couple of weeks, if this hasn't changed by then, I will be sadly changing to a different tablet.

Blaire Comrie

Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

Re: Screen Timeout to short

I'm a musician too and use it in much the same way. I can understand your frustration and I share in the thought that the 5 minute timeout is a poorly thought out solution.

By the way, this is a peer support forum and though you may feel good to state that you'll leave the PlayBook to go to another device, the truth is, it doesn't do you any good to say such a thing here for it will not "force" RIM to change this tablet behaviour. My advice to you is to sell the tablet if this is such a dealbreaker to you right now and research other tablets that have this ability before purchasing.

There are no immediate plans (that I know of - and I have been searching myself) for this to change anytime soon. With the launch of BB OS 10 in the new year, there may/may not be an option for this. By the way, the HP TouchPad had this timeout limitation also which couldn't be over written (and it was annoying).

Here is an old thread on these very forums you may wish to add to: http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-PlayBook/Stand-by-after-5-minutes/m-p/1021617/%20h...

As you can see it hasn't done much good since April 2011...