Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
wendeebee
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: rogers

Screen dims randomly

[ Edited ]

I want to like this device, I really do, but this is another thing that keeps happening. It's happened since I got it last Tuesday. I'll be browsing or whatever, and all off a sudden the screen will dim. Nothing I do will get it back, and then all of a sudden it goes up to full brightness again.  Am I missing a control somewhere? This is too new to go for repairs, and too expensive to 'live with".  Help!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
arosenbe
My Device: 9000
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Screen dims randomly

I noticed the same thing and thought there was a problem then I noticed today that the screen changed when the lighting in the room changed. There is a front facing sensor for the camera, it may adjust the screen brighness based on ambient lighting.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
wendeebee

Nope. Just sitting on the couch browsing. The light didn't change in the room.  Got dim and them popped back to bright. I know there is a backlight control, but I thought that was supposed to kick in when the device is idle.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
arosenbe

I just tested this with a flashlight and the screen did change. When the flashlight was on the sensor the screen got brighter. When I turned it off the screen dimmed.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
wendeebee

Hi arosenbe, yes I just tried what you did with a flashlight, and I see what you mean. But I when it happens, it doesn't gradually get brighter and then dimmer... I am stationary and using it (it's not sitting idle) and the screen will suddenly dim, and then pop back to bright.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
arosenbe

wendeebee, sorry I thought I might have the cause. I know the screen does seem a bit less bright when I have it at an angle, like now resting on my lap. But it does not randomly change. I have noticed something similar with my BB Bold 9000.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
beeeerock
My Device: Z10 and PlayBook (sadly)

Mine does this too... ambient light hasn't changed, but display decides it needs to be dimmer.  I'm wondering if it's a timeout related to inactivity, or activity it doesn't yet realize IS activity.  I expect it'll get fixed in an update before too long... I really don't think it's a hardware problem.... and if it is, there's a year to sort that out!

Please use plain text.