Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
pmangana
My Device: PlayBook wifi 64g
My Carrier: none
Accepted Solution

Screen sensitivity loss

I'm experiencing screen sensitivity loss on my wife’s playbook wifi 64g. I had just upgraded to OS version 2.1.1088 a couple days ago when suddenly the problem first started. Trying to fix it, I cleaned the screen (even the narrow space between the screen and the external contour of the device) and made a hardware reset. None of these solved the problem. Then I made a security clean of the device and a re-installed the OS. The problem persisted. I found that sometimes changing the finger I use when typing does overcome the problem, although just for a few types (two or three) until it arises again. I need to wait a few seconds before continuing or hard depress the screen more than once until I get any response from the tablet. Is there any way to tune screen sensitivity or is it a hardware flaw? Can anyone help me here?

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

Re: Screen sensitivity loss

General rule is any apparent hardware fault, try restart, then wipe, then de-brick on desktop with usb. If all fail it's most likely a hardware problem, contact RIM or your retailer.

Sounds like you tried all those. There is no adjustment.

My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

[ Edited ]

pmangana wrote:

I'm experiencing screen sensitivity loss on my wife’s playbook wifi 64g. I had just upgraded to OS version 2.1.1088 a couple days ago when suddenly the problem first started. Trying to fix it, I cleaned the screen (even the narrow space between the screen and the external contour of the device) and made a hardware reset. None of these solved the problem. Then I made a security clean of the device and a re-installed the OS. The problem persisted. I found that sometimes changing the finger I use when typing does overcome the problem, although just for a few types (two or three) until it arises again. I need to wait a few seconds before continuing or hard depress the screen more than once until I get any response from the tablet. Is there any way to tune screen sensitivity or is it a hardware flaw? Can anyone help me here?

A security wipe is not the same thing as a fresh OS re-install. Security wipe only deletes files/programs on the PB but doesn't touch the OS level. You need to reinstall the OS completely from the Desktop Software. If you search these forums there are lots of threads on how to perform this. Google is full of tutorials too. I have posted several myself...if you search for these kinds of threads you will find instructions on how to do this. 

As Jarviser says though, if that doesn't solve your problems, then it's hardware related and you should contact RIM Technical Support via telephone for your options. If you are not in your 90 free phone support window, then you will have to pay for the support call - usually via credit card.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
TroyTempest
My Device: Playbook 32
My Carrier: 3

chaosdivine wrote:

A security wipe is not the same thing as a fresh OS re-install. ...

I have heard that said on here by one of the Sages.

What is it in a wipe that is 350 - 400MB in size and comes down the pipe into the Playbook then?   If it looks like an OS and installs like an OS I guess it probably is an OS.   In many cases it fixes things like loss of native icons. 

________
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
pmangana

Thanks. Actually I did it all. I will contact my retailer.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
pmangana

[ Edited ]

Thank you all for your replys. I did security wipe, de-brick and re-installed OS from BlackBerry Desktop Software. It seems I need to visit my retailer (still on warranty period).

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

[ Edited ]

I always understood a security wipe installs a fresh OS but does not include the bundle of sample videos and other local bloatware.  I agree, it does not seem sensible to download a huge OS-sized file after a security wipe if it does not contain an OS for installation.  Wipe certainly fixes most problems, the main reason for USB de-brick is that you can't security wipe a dead or unresponsive playbook.  

This is my humble opinion, other opinions may exist. 

If you look at the relevant knowledge base articles for wipe then setup, it does say that wipe is followed by a mandatory update.

So OK, the wipe does not load the OS, but the mandatory update on setup certainly does.

I have done it three times on 2 different playbooks and always had the full 400MBytes or so come down followed by the message "installing" so I think someone has been misleading the forum, or is making a semantic argument about at which point the reload takes place. . 

________
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

[ Edited ]

TroyTempest wrote:

If you look at the relevant knowledge base articles for wipe then setup, it does say that wipe is followed by a mandatory update.

So OK, the wipe does not load the OS, but the mandatory update on setup certainly does.

I have done it three times on 2 different playbooks and always had the full 400MBytes or so come down followed by the message "installing" so I think someone has been misleading the forum, or is making a semantic argument about at which point the reload takes place. . 

Read this: http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/viewdocument.do;jsessionid=A189026CE8C1BE0B28C443B11EEC7D57?...

It does not download and reinstall the OS.

What DOES reload the OS is a connection to the Blackberry Desktop Software using the UPDATE function, it will totally nuke your machine regardless of what's on it and proceed to reinstall the latest version of BB OS.

No one's misleading anyone Troy. Perhaps you just don't really understand what you're referring to.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
TroyTempest

Whoah!  It started all friendly then this happened. Chill out mate.

In that article that both of us referred to, myself indirectly, you directly,  there is the paragraph...

"Once the security wipe has been completed, the initial setup will need to be completed before the BlackBerry Playbook can be used. For more information on completing the initial setup on the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet, please see KB26228."

Take a look at that linked article.  It installs a mandatory update.

so yes the WIPE does not install the OS but the subsequent mandatory setup does.  Otherwise it would be an empty shell like it left the factory.  The only way a Playbook would not reinstall the OS is if the factory supplied OS and the latest OS were the same version.

Like I say in my opinion it's a semantic argument to say that a wipe does not re install the OS.  

We don't agree, but please lets keep it pleasant.

________
Please use plain text.