Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
john777_a
My Device: Playbook 32 2.1
My Carrier: None
Accepted Solution

Sideloading??

I see every where on the interweb about sideloading.

Is this safe? Will it affect the warranty?

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

Re: Sideloading??

john777_a wrote:

I see every where on the interweb about sideloading.

Is this safe? Will it affect the warranty?

This is a bit of a grey area. I mean, you can get free Android .apk files and use online tools to convert them  to .bar files which the PlayBook can use. Some will work, many will not since the libraries the apps require are not native to the PlayBook. The grey area comes in with the fact that you can do this with paid apps too which is IP theft and robs the author of their hard work and due profits.

You can run into trouble loading applications that are difficult to uninstall and may leave files behind which require special applications to uninstall properly. There is no guarantee that the source where you got your files from won't introduce a virus unless its directly from the Google App Store.

I don't know if this process is sanctioned or not nor if it will void your warranty. I mean the Android Player is an integral part of the BB OS so I would think it is safe to do. I can't personally see how this would void your Warranty either. I mean ultimately if you ran into trouble, you could nuke the OS install and reinstall it from scratch. No one would know the difference.

I am not going to list the tools here in order to sideload but I will say that YouTube is full of videos on how to accomplish this if you're indeed interested.

So it's up to you. Personally, I prefer to purchase my apps from the BB App World so I get support and updates for my apps. I don't want problems with my apps not working to my expectation levels. I believe paying for them from legitimate sources is the right way to ensure piece of mind.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
TroyTempest
My Device: Playbook 32
My Carrier: 3

[ Edited ]

RIM provide developer mode and android player, no modification or hacking is required, and if a reputable site is used to download android conversions there should be no problem. Goodereader.com is sponsored by companies like vodafone, who may be "tax efficient" but still a legal company so one can assume stuff in goodereader is not a stolen normally paid for app.

Use google chrome with Playbook App Manager extension and you can install and uninstall with no fuss on windows, apple mac or linux.

________
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
john777_a
My Device: Playbook 32 2.1
My Carrier: None

Thats very informative and helpful thankyou.

Think I will stick with the 'official apps' for now at least.

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

This is RIM's response on Sideloading

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2402808,00.asp

Please use plain text.