Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
derrickblogs
My Device: Blackberry Playbook Tablet
My Carrier: Cricket

Silverlight For Blackberry Tablet Playbook? Where is it?

I can say I am very unhappy about this matter, not to mention I purchased this because people were bragging about this OS as if it had everything that the business world would offer now, i'm finding out that Blackberry does not even offer a fix or anything compatible for users to get this is insane how can you call yourself a businesss platform and not have silverlight which 70% of business's in the web business are using this, to my knowledge Windows offers about everything that a business person would want why  is this an issue, I know one thing I just got the Playbook and I thought this was no issue, if I am not getting a response as to why I have to speak on a forum instead you guys should have been fixed this problem.

Make a Silverlight fix or app that will allow people to run on there systems for Blackberry users, we should not have to beg for service, if I see that blackberry is not to to standards, then I am going to resell my system and get a regular laptop with Windows and deal with this myself, in such away.

Blackberry is about to end up real Black.
Please use plain text.
Developer
Innovatology
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: Silverlight For Blackberry Tablet Playbook? Where is it?

Silverlight is a proprietary Microsoft product, not a RIM product. It's not available on any modern mobile platform, even in Windows 8 Metro, and the future of the Silverlight plugin is uncertain at best. Development of Moonlight, the Mac/Linux port has even stopped.

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Please use plain text.
Developer
taylortbb
My Device: Bold 9900 + PlayBook
My Carrier: Rogers

Silverlight isn't for mobile platforms. It's for laptops and desktops. If you need a laptop or desktop then you shouldn't be buying a PlayBook, iPad, or any other tablet because none of them will do what you want. Don't expect this to get "fixed", even Microsoft's mobile platforms don't support Silverlight.
--------
Taylor Byrnes
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Where does the "70% of business website use Silverlight" come from? I rarely see Silverlight and I go to business website all the time. Silverlight is being phased out and MS has slowed development on it for some time.
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

jtegen wrote:
Where does the "70% of business website use Silverlight" come from? ....

Probably microsoft. Shame on mozilla and their like for providing plug'ins.  WC3 define standards ie html5 not MS and web designers should not pander to them.  I delete silverlight from my windows lappy and never had a problem. I ignore sites that claim my browser is "not supported" even if it means changing banks.

My Device: Z10 & Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

derrickblogs wrote:

I can say I am very unhappy about this matter, not to mention I purchased this because people were bragging about this OS as if it had everything that the business world would offer now, i'm finding out that Blackberry does not even offer a fix or anything compatible for users to get this is insane how can you call yourself a businesss platform and not have silverlight which 70% of business's in the web business are using this, to my knowledge Windows offers about everything that a business person would want why  is this an issue, I know one thing I just got the Playbook and I thought this was no issue, if I am not getting a response as to why I have to speak on a forum instead you guys should have been fixed this problem.

Make a Silverlight fix or app that will allow people to run on there systems for Blackberry users, we should not have to beg for service, if I see that blackberry is not to to standards, then I am going to resell my system and get a regular laptop with Windows and deal with this myself, in such away.

Should have researched prior to purchase by the way ipad doesn't support it either.

Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

I am an IT Systems admin and never installed Silverlight on any of my PC's.

What is not working?

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Contributor
bsalloum
My Device: PlayBook 64, formerly Tour 9630 now HTC WP8
My Carrier: Bell

I have a couple of Silverlight sites I go to regularly, and it bugs me that I can't do it on my PB. But I do get what you're saying about mobile platforms, tablet browsers, etc. Sometimes it's hard to separate whose problem something like this belongs to. MS for being proprietary? RIM for not building in support for every little thing? The site developer? The company which had the site built? I think this will vary from one situation to the next. 

But yeh, even though it's frustrating when I have to switch devices to access a Silverlight site, I agree this is not something we can really yell at RIM about. It would be nice, but it ain't gonna happen on a PB, iPad, Nexus, etc. Every device has its limitations, despite what marketers would have you believe, and not every site is built with those in mind.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

It's Microsoft's fault. 

(That was an easy one...)

My Device: Playbox
My Carrier: None...wifi

How are the apple products running Netflix?
If I'm not mistaken it is on a silver light based app isn't it?
If they don't run it, some of the "mighty mighty playbook" developers should be able to do the same thing?
Please use plain text.