Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
nysambart
My Device: Bold 9000 AT&T BES/3 BIS

Simple things to fix...

1) Why does the backlight not have a "never" option for timing out under the Plugged In option?

2) Copy and Paste - Really? Should this be an issue anymore?

3) Edit/Relocate items on the "desktop" under different tabs

4) How to remove applications?

Other than the nonsense that RIM/AT&T are doing with Bridge (which works awesome with the workaround)...so far it's been a good device. Hopefully RIM doesn't sit around and send out updates few and far between. I'm a little on the fence with returning it and waiting a few more months to see how it is when it's been a bit more refined.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
hatchback
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 Smartphone

Re: Simple things to fix...

Hello nysambart,

I have provided some feed back on your questions below:

1) Why does the backlight not have a "never" option for timing out under the Plugged In option?

The Backlight Time-Out has an option of 1-5mins , this does not time out when watching video.

2) Copy and Paste - Really? Should this be an issue anymore?

Follow this demo on typing on how to copy/paste: http://demos.blackberry.com/playbook/na/us/gen/

3) Edit/Relocate items on the "desktop" under different tabs

Currently items can only be moved to the favorites tab.

4) How to remove applications?

Hold your finger on the Application icon, the application will begin to "move" then select the trash can icon.

-HB

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
nysambart

Thanks, HB.

The screen timeout while plugged-in should at least give me the option of leaving it on while plugged in - that should be my decision, not RIM's.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Grummantiger
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: Att

this should not time out at all if u dont want it too.  if you listen to music ie pandora over the web it times out every 5 min so you get about a song and a half before it quits..... not acceptable

Please use plain text.
Contributor
nysambart

Mine is on it's way back to Best Buy tonight...after ALL DAY charging it actually lost power - went from 95% to 90% over the course of the day...I wasn't able to get it to charge to 100%. On top of that, it no longer connects to WLANs...no matter what.

BTW - the copy/paste "feature" sucks.

Please use plain text.
Developer
brentcameron
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

It's a big device with monster sized batteries... what were you charging it off - a bluetooth headset charger?  I notice my Thinkpad has enough oomf on the charging port to charge it (with the screen going very barely).  You really should have a dedicated high power charger for it.  It uses USB as a convenience.  I bought the rapid charger and it's great.  You can charge the puppy in about 2 hours from black screen.  

Best regards,

Brent

If you found my post helpful, please thank me with a Kudo. Thanks!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
nysambart

I understand that the battery is large and I was using the USB port off of my desktop, but this morning I got the same result using the wall charger after 14 hours...there is no way that I'm giving RIM another $70 for a better charger...the fact that there is a "better" charger is BS. If RIM knew there were issues charging with USB vs. a rapid charger then they should have included it in the box....For now it's most likely going back and I'll revisit the PlayBook in a few months.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mixmastermike
My Device: Torch 9800 / PlayBook
My Carrier: Rogers

Another thing that would be nice would the ability to put the device to sleep without having to push the power button... another swipe of some kind would be nice, or touch both sides of the frame or something.  Hitting that little fiddly power button to shut the screen off is annoying!

Please use plain text.
New Developer
NormanF
My Device: 9700

mixmastermike wrote:

Another thing that would be nice would the ability to put the device to sleep without having to push the power button... another swipe of some kind would be nice, or touch both sides of the frame or something.  Hitting that little fiddly power button to shut the screen off is annoying!

Are you having that problem too?  I posted another thread but nobody is responding.  When the time-out expires, it acts like it is going into stand by mode, but just touching the screen wakes it back up.  No swipe or password required.  I was afraid it was just me.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Insp-Gadget
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Telus

Things I have noticed:

1.  You cannot have a video save it's last viewed location when you close the program.  It will start from the beginning only.
2.  There are no fast forward or rewind capabilities in video or audio, with the exception fiddling with the progress bar.
3.  You cannot create folders on the desktop.
4.  You cannot name playlists.
5.  There seems to be no option to save login passwords when you browse certain websites (Facebook).  You have to re-login every time.
6.  I have tried several times, but am unable to get my MacBook Pro to WIFI share with the PlayBook.
7.  I would have expected the camera to have an LED flash.
8.  I was surprised to see no RIM produced apps in AppWorld.  I would have at least expected Blackberry Protect.
9.  I was also surprised to see the absence of messengers from Yahoo, MSN, or other popular programs.

Please use plain text.