Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
ccbjbcab1
My Device: Z30
Accepted Solution

Why can I not get Skype download on the Playbook.

Thanks

ccbjbcab1

Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Re: Skype

Because there is no Skype app available for the Playbook.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Trusted Contributor
rossjackson01
My Device: Playbook 64gb (wifi)

[ Edited ]

www.faceflow.com is a cross o/s programme that offers the same as skype but with the added bonus of conference calls. The programme is free and can be accessed though your browser. Both need to join, as in skype. Playbook to PC, Android, iphone. PC, Android, iphone to Playbook. The developers regularly post updates and it would appear that there will soon be an app for all the platforms.

Video regarding BB10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPzvDiZEok0

There is a missconception that the operating systems are at fault if an app does not work. It costs money to code an app, and then the developers have to pay the owners of the operating system to advertise it. Many developers only make their app for a specific operating system. Very few make it for all.

In general:- Apple apps do not work on Microsoft or Android. The same goes for Microsoft apps not working on Apple or Android. Android Apps do not work on Apple or Microsoft.  Skype has been coded for Microsoft, Apple and Android. Not yet BB. However Faceflow uses the wifi browser, so is compatible to all.

Hope this helps

Regards to all (except BB)
Contributor
JohnyBGood
My Device: Playbook & 9810 Torch

Ross, I think you are over-estimating that misconception.  I think most people realize Skype would need to be created for us and when they ask where Skype is and how to install it, they're basically asking, "Why hasn't it been created for us?".  Skype should have been offered an incentive to create it.  Let's not pretend otherwise.