02-22-2012 07:02 AM
I've managed to get my iCloud Contacts to sync with Playbook 2.0 Contacts app using the CardDAV account.
So far, so good, but I'd like to report many small annoyances which make me feel sad.
1. No clear separation between the accounts. I have the Contacts from two of my Gmail accounts and now from iCloud. There is NO WAY to view just one account, one must see all of them.
The Messages app is clearly better for separate different accounts.
2. The sort options are poor. I can sort by First or Last Name, but the presentation is still First Name followed by Last Name. I like the Last Name first. And the sort reverts all the time to First Name. VERY ANNOYING!!!
3. Related to item #1, no possibility to indicate when the new contact will be created. I presume it will be created on my Gmail account, because it's my primary account, but no mention about it.
4. Some fields are missing. I presume it's just the limiation of the Contacts app. For example, the Spouse field syncs, but not the Father, Mother or Child fields.
5. The Groups are synced as empty Contacts with the Name = Group Name.
6. No advanced sync options, like iCloud -> Playbook only to avoid to screw up my whole Address Book.
Hope all those annoyances will disappear with time. I understand that some problems with Google Contacts sync are due to Exchange limitations, but I hope full CardDAV support will be added soon.
02-22-2012 01:24 PM
How do you get this setup? Unfortunatlly apple is less than forthcomming with the info, I guess I have to have an Ipad not a playbook. Any pointers would be greatly appriciated on both calander and contacts.
02-22-2012 02:45 PM
I will post the setup as soon as I get it working reliably. I'm still plying with Calendars, so some guessing is stil needed.
Hasta la vista.
02-24-2012 10:57 AM
So far, only for Contacts.
Settings -> Accounts -> Add New Account -> Email, Calendar and Contacts -> Advanced Setup -> CardDAV.
Description: iCloud or whatever you want;
Username: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org if you are a former .Mac user ;-)
Email address: same
Password: your password
Server address: p02-contacts.icloud.com in my case, some users report p99-contacts.icloud.com, the pxx is the tricky part here.
Sync interval: 30 Minutes or whatever you want.
Please read my first post, the compatibility i not perfect, you'll lose some fields. So far, I edit the contacts on my Mac only to avoid any problem.
02-24-2012 11:41 AM
That works great, I have been working on the CalDAV but to no avail. But contacts and email are most important Calander is a nice to have. I hope they actuallt build in full IMAP support into a fix because it sucks not being able to access all of my mail folders on the playbook.
Thanks for the information.
02-24-2012 11:46 AM
I will figure out to to use Mail, Contacts and Calendar in best possible conditions, don't worry. I use them all the time, so for me it's a vital question, overwise I just sell the Playbook.
So far, Contacts suck because of the limitations enumerated in my first post, Messages suck because of the impossibility to select multiple messages at once and Calendar sucks because it doesn't support the Floating Time Zone.
All iCal users that use and abse this feature understand me
04-13-2012 02:47 PM
Awesome post. Thank you for the clear and accurate instructions.
Mine worked with p03.
Any luck getting the calendar to sync up? As a prior poster mentioned, that's a must have!