Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
JohnyBGood
My Device: Playbook & 9810 Torch
My Carrier: Wind Mobile Canada

Sound is too good.

I love the sound quality on the Playbook.  The problem is when I want it just one notch above mute...there's no true "low".  I have to browse the Sounds & Notifications section to take it a HAIR above zero (because the physical buttons won't let me get that close to zero) and it's still too loud.

I've thought that maybe I can get a MINI external 3.5mm speaker that has a volume rocker on it, but I haven't been able to find a tiny one that has a volume rocker.  ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Blackberry, PLEASE adjust the gain settings in the next firmware, so that I can get the Playbook working with low volume.  THANK YOU.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Enygma
My Device: BlackBerry Playbook
My Carrier: WiFi only (well, I do have a cheap Nokia with 7/11 SpeakOut)

Re: Sound is too good.

[ Edited ]

I find most apps have a crappy volume control.  I prefer going to the volume control in the general settings area (gear at top right when swiping in from the top right).  Select "Sounds and Notifications". The volume slider works quite well when swiping left or right.  I can get very fine sound tuning with that.

As to headsets, I suppose any headset with an inline volume control will do the trick, just not ones that might control the PlayBook's volume.

PlayBook 64GB and 32 GB
Please use plain text.
Contributor
JohnyBGood

Enygma, I don't think you read my post.  You repeated what I wrote about Sounds & Notifications and then talked about headsets, when I specifically said that I wanted an external speaker.  I don't mean to be rude, but it seems like you responded just to up your post count.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Enygma

[ Edited ]

I'm sorry.  I missed that part about "Sounds and Notifications" in your first post.  Are you talking about volume control when using your own headset?  If so, the impedance of your headset may be too low.  That is not a PlayBook problem per se, but rather a mismatch of hardware.

I have never had any problem when using the "Sounds and Notifications" control with headsets.  I have had headsets for which the PlayBook's maximum volume was too low.  I solved that when I picked up another headset with a lower impedance.  I now use a BB headset and get the proper range of volume.

It is possible the PlayBook itself has a volume control problem..  You'll only be able to tell by trying different headsets with different impedance levels to find out if you can get an acceptable volume range.  One indicator would be if the PlayBook's volume is too loud on the regular speakers when a hair above mute.  If so, it may indeed be a PlayBook hardware problem.

PlayBook 64GB and 32 GB
Please use plain text.
Contributor
JohnyBGood

I love the sound on my Playbook, however, I can't achieve "low" in all instances.  I do not want to use a headset, however, I wouldn't be opposed to using the 3.5mm headset jack to plug in an external speaker (the kind that stick out, not the kind with a cable) w/ a volume rocker.

Here's an example.  Sometimes my nephew will sleep over and I have to drag his matress next to mine because he's scared in the spare bedroom.  Even using Sounds & Notifications to get a HAIR of sound above zero, any surfing/video streams can sound VERY loud.  I have 2 Playbooks, so I know it is not my specific unit(s)...it's as I said: It is too sensitive and needs to be fixed via firmware.

In the meantime, if anyone can recommend a TINY external speaker (w/ volume rocker) that will stick out of the Playbook, I'd love to buy it, so I can surf at night w/o disturbing anyone next to me.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Enygma

Ok, now that it has been established that the volume control is with the PlayBook itself on the speakers, but not in all instances, perhaps the solution lies elsewhere.  You should not need an external device to get the appropriate volume.  Perhaps some detail with respect to the specific apps or websites involved can lead to an appropriate solution.  I can test these on my own PlayBook to see if I can reproduce the problem.  Of course, my own hearing's sensitivity may not detect the problem, but I and others could give it a try and arrive at a recommendation.

PlayBook 64GB and 32 GB
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
TexTucker
My Device: pb
My Carrier: none

I use this for our grand-daughter when she can't sleep. Lasts all night.

http://www.amazon.com/X-Mini-XAM4-B-Mono-Capsule-Speaker/dp/B001UEBN42/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=136295...

[ Edited ]

Another solution is an external pillow speaker with volume control.  They are designed to be heard in close proximity without being so loud as to be heard by others in the same room.

Link to pillow speakers

PlayBook 64GB and 32 GB
Please use plain text.
Contributor
JohnyBGood

I actually have a couple of hamburger speakers, but I was actually thinking of something like this (to maintain portability of Playbook), BUT I'd need a volume rocker:

www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Portable-Stereo-Speaker-iPhone/dp/B005UWD2YY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&q...

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

[ Edited ]

I have one of these from thesource.ca here in Canada. It was listed as a headphone extension cord (which is laughable because it only extends it maybe 8" total) http://www.thesource.ca/estore/product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&category=Headphone+Accesso...

It's $6.99 at the moment, more than I paid for it originally. But it works well. I use this with my earphones which have a straight connector and then, using this, I get a 90 degree L shaped connector which allows less stress on the headphone jack when inside my case. The volume rocker is a VERY accurate dial. Anyhow, using a straight male to male headphone extension cable to plug into this and the speaker of your choosing, you should be able to max the PlayBook volume and then control the overall volume using the cable I picture above.

Please use plain text.