Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
andrewlovesthesun
My Device: Playbook

Spyware, malware.

Is there an Anti-virus, Spyware, Malware app for the Playbook? How can I find out if my Playbook has a virus?

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Enygma
My Device: BlackBerry Playbook

Re: Spyware, malware.

Given how few of the devices are out there with this particular operating system, it is highly unlikely someone has bothered to develop such a virus, trojan horse, malware or spyware.

There is o new app in App World that advertises itself to detect  spyware bad adware (Spyware and Malware Detector by What the Apps).  It costs $4.99. It is unrated so I don't know if it is any good.

That said, what leads you to suspect that your PlayBook might have been compromised?

PlayBook 64GB and 32 GB
Please use plain text.
Contributor
andrewlovesthesun

Just wondering if the Playbook needs such an APP. I haven't noticed anything to be concerned about on my Playbook. No performance issues. Should I buy this APP just to be on the safe side?

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Enygma
My Device: BlackBerry Playbook

Its really a judgment call.  If you are not in the habit of lending your PlayBook out and follow safe practices like not trying to sideload dubious free Android apps, cruising dubious websites and clicking on links in unsolicited e-mails, then I would not bother with the app available in the store.

If BlackBerry starts to pick up significant market share, then perhaps some nefarious people might take notice and start to exploit possible weaknesses in BB10.  We're talking at least a year away if ever.

PlayBook 64GB and 32 GB
Please use plain text.
Contributor
andrewlovesthesun

Ok. Thanks. Good to know.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
bumblebee17
My Device: PlayBook 16g

Hi the fellow you were talking to originally didn't have a problem but I do. So wondering about malware. My PlayBook often slows down or sticks. The keyboard is what's really bad. It's response gets really slow. Hit a key, wait 5 seconds for the letter to show up. And with that sometimes the auto caps and spacing after a period stop. And the autocompletion disappears. A restartt usually fixes that. Is that normal? Just an unpleasant part of tablet life? It sticks too.The keyboard. I wait 2,3 minutes it's okay. But a real problem doing work. And lately the movement is jerky. Even in games. In Bubble Buster the balls sometimes freeze briefly. Creepy. So have you seen this,  do you know what it is? Are these malware type effects? If not that what else cause these sort of effects? Thanks. 

Please use plain text.