Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Stand by after 5 minutes

mpavlak, sadly your only real option seems to be to use a slide show program which implements "keep awake".

If you've got a favourite app for that, and it doesn't support it yet, just contact the developer and ask if they could do a small update to include the feature as an option.

It *is* a very simple tweak for app developers to add (literally one line for the code, plus whatever UI changes are needed to let users change it, if it's an optional setting).

I realize you probably meant simple for RIM to add, but they seem to have their own reasons for not doing so, and it's up to individual developers to provide support instead. (And that's probably RIM's plan, but it would be nice if they'd simply say so and resolve the uncertainty.)

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mpavlak
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: ATT

Thank you for the note!

I guess my favourite there would be the PPT viewer in Docs-to-go.  But I think that is RIM, as ell, eh?  Not seeing a setting.  Not sure who to ask. 

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

LOL... you mean the PPT viewer has a slide-show mode (automatic hands-free advancing through the slides) and yet doesn't support "keep awake"?! I'm chuckling... :smileyhappy:

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

peter9477 wrote:
LOL... you mean the PPT viewer has a slide-show mode (automatic hands-free advancing through the slides) and yet doesn't support "keep awake"?! I'm chuckling... :smileyhappy:

that is funny

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

The BlackBerry PlayBook will go into standby mode within the set time period if there is no interaction with the device except for the following conditions.

• Video is being played back
  • Application requests that the device remain on (it is up to developers to implement this in their application where it makes sense).
  • Audio is being played back in the browser/music app (screen will still turn off, but audio playback should continue).
  • PlayBook is connected via HDMI out (PlayBook screen will still turn off, but HDMI out will continue).

Regarding the reports that the device powers off when listening to streaming radio stations... are you using OS version 2.0?  If so, can you provide examples?

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

MSohm wrote:

The BlackBerry PlayBook will go into standby mode within the set time period if there is no interaction with the device except for the following conditions.

• Video is being played back
  • Application requests that the device remain on (it is up to developers to implement this in their application where it makes sense).
  • Audio is being played back in the browser/music app (screen will still turn off, but audio playback should continue).
  • PlayBook is connected via HDMI out (PlayBook screen will still turn off, but HDMI out will continue).

Regarding the reports that the device powers off when listening to streaming radio stations... are you using OS version 2.0?  If so, can you provide examples?

Thanks for that info Mark.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
drdoug
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: AT&T for now

I think there is good news here.  I teach in a university and have been using my PlayBook with Powerpoint. Under the old operating system both the PlayBook and the screen went dark after 5 minutes.  Now the Playbook goes dark, but the students still see the projected image on the screen,  I'm using the same micro-HDMI to VGA cord as before, but the Powerpoint settings seem to be updated.  This is on battery power so I don't have to take a power cord to a 50 or 75 minute class.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mikehughesc
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: Orange UK

This is stupid.  You might (just) be able to justify forcing a timeout when running on battery, but when the Playbook is sitting on its charger, there is no conceivable reason why there should not be an option to keep the display running permanently.

It's not good enough to say that it should be up to the app developer to keep the screen running "where it makes sense" because the app developer doesn't always know how the end user wants the thing to work.

I have a PB on a desk charger in my home office, with an IP cam monitor running so I can see if anyone's approaching the house.  The **bleep** thing keeps timing out on me and there's no way of stopping it.

There's a clock app provided by RIM - what the hell is the use of a clock that goes blank after 5 minutes?

Honestly, RIM, you really need to re-think this (and a few other things too).

Please use plain text.
Contributor
lovely_leftovers
My Device: PlayBook 16GB UK

one perfectly good example: http://www.apple.com/itunes/25-billion-app-countdown/

how about a symbol next to the orientation lock, bluetooth and so on switches

maybe even within the battery pop-up

turning the standby off is one of the most basic functions every device should have and it is really really annoying to almost everyone using tablets on a daily basis sooner or later

people complaining about this fully understand the consequences of their actions, i'm in my thirties, have two well behaving kids, so i think i am more than qualified to make that kind of decision myself

and when you are on this matter, how good is it for the battery when the device is turned off at 0% and maybe lying around over the weekend

yes, giving this sort of setting in our hands is a good idea, maybe i want this to 5% or maybe to 30% so i have enough battery for my way home

this of course should be in addition to the percentage i want to be warned that the device is shutting itself down in the near future

and one for the record, stop trying to outsmart your customers, specially when you clearly been told many times what the problem is and how to patch that satisfyingly

or how someone's daddy always said, "when you want to insert a nail into a piece of wood, you don't do anything fancy or glamorous. you just take the **bleeping** hammer and hit the son of a bitch until it's in"

:Punk: :Dots:

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
timothyf7
My Device: BlackBerry Playbook
My Carrier: None

It is not an option!  You can set it for 10 seconds to 5 minutes!  It is a problem that RIM has not addressed!

Please use plain text.