Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
gplaine
My Device: Bold 9900 + Playbook
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Stand by after 5 minutes

[ Edited ]

This doesn't make it a very good alarm clock if it goes to StandBy (and freezes the clock program.):Oops:

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

gplaine wrote:

This doesn't make it a very good alarm clock if it goes to StandBy (and freezes the clock program.):Oops:

This isn't the case though. Any app which its developer wanted to behave correctly could easily take advantage of the available features to let the alarm sound even when the device is in standby.  Standby doesn't really mean the device is disabled... mostly just that the screen is off.

If you find an alarm clock which fails to notify you when the specified time arrives, contact the developer to complain, or uninstall it, because it's broken and doesn't need to be.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
jeffgedgaud
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: 2184436363

I am complaining to the developer, RIM or now BlackBerry,  the alarm clock that comes with the tablet does not work because the thing goes into standby after five minutes, what use is an alarm clock that has no way to go off because the tablet is designed by narrow minded people. Yes, I am saying they are narrow minded because they are not allowing a simple function to be part of their software even when it is plugged in for charging.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

Not sure what you're talking about. Unless your PlayBook is defective or you're using it wrong, the system alarm clock functions perfectly well even when the device is in standby. Mine wakes me up all the time (when I want it to) even when the screen is off.

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
TexTucker
My Device: pb

[ Edited ]

jeffgedgaud wrote:

I am complaining to the developer, RIM or now BlackBerry,  the alarm clock that comes with the tablet does not work because the thing goes into standby after five minutes, what use is an alarm clock that has no way to go off because the tablet is designed by narrow minded people. Yes, I am saying they are narrow minded because they are not allowing a simple function to be part of their software even when it is plugged in for charging.

Lots of apps keep running in Standby mode. It's not standby as in TV or like sleep in PC, it's just a screen saver.   I often set the egg timer for six minutes and it still pings from a dark screen. Email push still works in standby. Music plays, streaming audio plays from the web.

Have you actually tried to set the alarm and tested it and found it to fail,  or just assumed it will not work then decided to complain?

My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: Orange UK

Well in my world, a clock is something that you glance at in order to find out the time.  The alarm might still work, but a clock that switches off its display after 5 minutes - even when plugged into the mains - is utterly useless.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
TexTucker
My Device: pb

Well buy a **bleep**ing clock.
My Device: Bold 9900 / 16g PlayBook
My Carrier: Unlocked

Great comment...buy a clock because your playbook that you paid good money for won't perform that simple,easy, useful function????
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

There are numerous third-party clock apps which can keep the screen on (using "keep awake") if you like to have a clock you can glance at any time you want.  Once again, this isn't really a big issue, considering that (almost certainly) some of them are free.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
pstrfdw
My Device: Bold 9900 / 16g PlayBook
My Carrier: Unlocked

The big issue for me is this...I believe most other platforms have an option to leave the screen on. The older blackberry os had an app called "leave it on". I still have this on my 9900. But I can't find any way to have the playbook leave the screen on so that I can use "Documents to Go" for public speaking. According to this thread there are others who want this option for other uses as well. And yet it is STILL not an option in BB10. Confusing!!!
Please use plain text.