Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Stand by after 5 minutes

pstrfdw wrote:
But I can't find any way to have the playbook leave the screen on so that I can use "Documents to Go" for public speaking. According to this thread there are others who want this option for other uses as well. And yet it is STILL not an option in BB10. Confusing!!!

This is one of the very valid use cases that they haven't addressed, and I'm confused by it as well.

My guess is simply that so much focus has been on BB10 that any non-critical changes to the PlayBook were back-burnered a long time ago.

I note that on BB10, I could connect my phone to HDMI while displaying a PPT and it would, from the looks of things, not turn that off even when it turned off the phone display.  Does the PlayBook one not even do that?

It may unfortunately be a case of having to wait for BB10 to arrive on the PlayBook (not imminent) to see the same feature there.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Super Contributor
My Device: pb

It was one of the first requests in this forum nearly 2 years ago.

There must be a piece of code with a matrix or table with several values up to 5 minutes offered in the gui with corresponding timer function. How easy would it be to have a 1 hour, 5 hours, 24 hours, 1000 hours to solve this.

ONE HOUR OF CODING and the problem would be solved yet the bull-headed bleeps at Blackberry can't be bothered.

Disgrace. 

Having ranted that, staying on one page of presentation or speech  for more than five minutes sounds like a boring speech. 

My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: 2184436363

I don't even think it would take an hour of coding, an hour of testing and ensuring it works right is about what it should take, five minutes of coding is probably what it would take. BlackBerry just does not care about it so it is put not on the back burner but on the backburner in the house behind the main house.

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

TexTucker wrote:

It was one of the first requests in this forum nearly 2 years ago.

There must be a piece of code with a matrix or table with several values up to 5 minutes offered in the gui with corresponding timer function. How easy would it be to have a 1 hour, 5 hours, 24 hours, 1000 hours to solve this.

ONE HOUR OF CODING and the problem would be solved yet the bull-headed bleeps at Blackberry can't be bothered.

Disgrace. 

Having ranted that, staying on one page of presentation or speech  for more than five minutes sounds like a boring speech. 

I think the fact that the choices have not changed is not the time required to code things. If it were the issue then I guess BlackBerry would go bankrupt. This issue bothers me, I wish it were a bit more.

But when I think of the consequences, of people setting it to too much, it would mean complains that the PlayBook battery is too short, or even worse, that the device depletes its battery with few solutions to charge it back even with the magnet charger.

We don't know the number of people complaining about battery issues, but BlackBerry does. And if something easy is not done, there usually is a reason for it not to be implemented.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

There's also the consequences of screen burn-in. This is a serious problem on OLED screens (which the Q10 will have) though to a lesser extent on the other screens. Possibly that affected their decision-making in some fashion.

I thought we'd heard from one of the product managers, however, that at least when a device is plugged into the charger they were going to allow a longer timeout. Maybe that will be appearing, finally, in one of the upcoming releases this spring.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Super Contributor
My Device: Playbook 32
My Carrier: 3

I don't buy the idea that we are being protected from ourselves, that we would mis-use the privilege, or that the PB screen would burn-in. None of it stacks up.  Apple or lenovo don't protect me in the same way why should Blackberry?

What stacks up is that BB do not come here to gather trends, do not give a stuff for features that they don;t think are necessary.

If this is not a user focus group, what is it??

________
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

here?

It's a peer to peer help forum. Users helping other users.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Super Contributor
My Device: Playbook 32
My Carrier: 3

Xandrex wrote:
here?

It's a peer to peer help forum. Users helping other users.

What part of USER FOCUS GROUP is incompatible with your definition? 

Where else for a wise company to find out

1. What problems are trending (eg severe charging faults)

2. What people are asking for (eg skype, no timeout)

I have been doing the user help thing for some time so please dont patronise me monsieur.

________
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Xplornet

[ Edited ]

Funny how I am writing from an iPad mini. Reason is PB doesn't work for me. The only thing that doesn't irritate me about it is the the flipclock app! I thought I could use it with my mydlink account on the browser but nope... No JAVA runtime environment allowed. So, i found the devepper app that could import mydlink used on an Android device. Cool I said. It work. Finally I can look at my IP cameras using the paperweight PB for something else than a clock... Now the sad part. After 5 minutes pluged into its own BB cradle it turns off! Ok I said I'll go and set the darn thing not to stand by while pluged in. To my surprise you can't! BB developers. If you are listening/reading, marketing 101 here dictates that the customer is always right and I should be able to set anything I can reasonably want to set by my own choosing... As I can with an iPad. Sad to say that your company is dwindling so much and that my $300 makes for a nice clock (and maybe a bridge with the company supplied Curve). Thank you and good luck issuing OS3 to fix this glaring problem that has no simple solution (incl. no JAVA runtime). I guess it's a feature tonhard for you to tweak in a x. . . . . . 1 version.