Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
EastCoast
My Device: Playbook

Re: Stand by after 5 minutes

Does anyone from Tech Support ever answer on these forums or should I phone them?

Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

You need to phone them to get tech support.

Note that, if you're using one of the apps that really does the Keep Awake thing, along with your web browser, it WILL stay on if you do it properly.

The feature's very limited, as noted in the popup you'd see the first time you enable Keep Awake in Battery Guru.

The app that enables Keep Awake must be active, and it must be visible.  There are several ways to do this, but the easiest is enable Showcase mode (as you've done) to ensure the app is always considered active, and ensure that the app doing Keep Awake is visible onscreen.  You cannot restore the web browser to full-screen mode and have this work properly.  Keep some portion of the other app visible, minimized or fullscreen, even if it's just a thin slice along one edge.  Hiding that window completely disables its ability to prevent the tablet from entering standby after the timeout.

I've seen a number of people not able to do this properly, until they learned how, but I've never seen someone whose tablet wouldn't do this, when it was done properly.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

hello Peter, how do you display "just a thin slice along one edge" of the keep Awake app ?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Developer
peter9477

Xandrex, if you minimize an app, and have several others open as well, one of them will be partially off-screen. Only a "slice" will be visible, as opposed to the one that's still centre-screen and fully visible in thumbnail form.

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Guru I
Xandrex

I think I understand what you mean, but on my OS1 in landscape mode, when I minimize the apps, I see 5 apps :
- 1 center app (big full thumbnail)
- 2 apps next to it (small full thumbnail)
- 2 apps to the far extreme, for which I see only a slice of the thumbnail.

Are you saying that for the "Keep Awake" app to work, it simply needs to be one of those 5 apps?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Developer
peter9477

Exactly correct. And it has to be "active", which means either you are using the Default mode and it was the last app to be fullscreen, or you are using Showcase mode. (If using Paused mode, the app must be fullscreen, period.)

You see now why it's been so hard for me to describe this effectively! ;-)

New Contributor
nsarbeau
My Device: Playbook & Bold 9780

Hey RIMM why would you not give the user the option to turn off the stand by? I can monitor the battery and it should be my choice if I want the screen to turn off. This must be fixed!
Nathan
Guru I
Xandrex

when I want my browser to not go to stand-by mode, I use a third party browser called "Simple Browser". There is a free version, and it stays always on when you are in it.

New Contributor
nsarbeau
My Device: Playbook & Bold 9780

thanks Xandrex, I will try that browser. The screen timeout is still annoying but maybe this will make it bearable.
Nathan
New Contributor
mpavlak
My Device: Torch 9800

Just installed Version 2 of the OS and no change.  I would really like to leverage my playbook at trade shows wit a rolling slide show.  But having the screen go blank after 5 minutes means no!  This should be a VERY simply tweak, eh?