Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
jeffgedgaud
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: 2184436363

Re: Stand by after 5 minutes

I am a user, not a developer. As such I do understand what users need and want in a device but I also understand programming due to my background in electronics and using computers for test systems. When a developer is handed a project such as making a program for a device they need to take into account basic functionality of that device but a feature like a timeout is something that is beyond their control. 

I'm just saying that it sounds like your blaiming devs for not taking the timeout issue into their programming when it is such a basic feature that they should not even have to worry about it. I have never heard a device like a smartphone or tablet that had a five minute time limit to get work done or that you had to use to keep it from faling asleep. This is a major feature that is not a dev problem but a design functionality that needs to be addressed by RIm and not a developer. 

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
TroyTempest
My Device: Playbook 32
My Carrier: 3

I dont always agree with waking up six month old threads , but there were many of hoping this highly popular option would have been added to the settings, like 30 minutes ans keepawake options. 

To boil a six minute egg I need to rewaken the screen halfway through, or wait til the sound to go off without warning. 

The click function would be ideal for the desk dock, but that too goes black. 

These are Playbook native apps!

The only dev I am aware of who actually knows how to kerp awake is the guy who wrote Photo Frame Pro.

@peter, a timer app should and does keep running using cpu, all we want is an option to keep the screen open. That should be our choice, not affected by some misguided energy saving policy. 

Mac has a 3rd party app called Caffein, is there not similar for PB?

________
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
TroyTempest

[ Edited ]

jeffgedgaud wrote:

I am a user, not a developer. As such I do understand what users need and want in a device but I also understand programming due to my background in electronics and using computers for test systems. When a developer is handed a project such as making a program for a device they need to take into account basic functionality of that device but a feature like a timeout is something that is beyond their control. 

I'm just saying that it sounds like your blaiming devs for not taking the timeout issue into their programming when it is such a basic feature that they should not even have to worry about it. I have never heard a device like a smartphone or tablet that had a five minute time limit to get work done or that you had to use to keep it from faling asleep. This is a major feature that is not a dev problem but a design functionality that needs to be addressed by RIm and not a developer. 

It can be done, see Photo Frame Pro.  

________
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
pstrfdw
My Device: Bold 9900 / 16g PlayBook
My Carrier: Unlocked

[ Edited ]

I'll gladly keep this post going. I want to go back to the playbook for public speaking (using the Docs to Go App) but I'm still on paper!! Paper never goes dark :-)

I have an app on my Bold 9900 called "Leave It On". How about a similar App for the Playbook.

Come on Devs!!!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mikehughesc
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: Orange UK

The fact that Photo Frame Pro can do it is irrelevant.  I want to be able to put my Playbook on its desk stand (where it is plugged into the mains) and have it permanently on REGARDLESS of whether I'm running any particular app, or none at all.  I might want to just have the email client up so I can see at a glance when an email comes in - or whatever.

Even the built-in Playbook clock app doesn't stop the screen from timing out.  What on earth is the use of a clock that switches off every 5 minutes?

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
TroyTempest

mikehughesc wrote:

The fact that Photo Frame Pro can do it is irrelevant.  I want to be able to put my Playbook on its desk stand (where it is plugged into the mains) and have it permanently on REGARDLESS of whether I'm running any particular app, or none at all.  I might want to just have the email client up so I can see at a glance when an email comes in - or whatever.

Even the built-in Playbook clock app doesn't stop the screen from timing out.  What on earth is the use of a clock that switches off every 5 minutes?

Oh I agree.

But it is relevant to the remark by another poster that it's out of the hands of developers. 

________
Please use plain text.
Contributor
jeffgedgaud

TroyTempest wrote:

mikehughesc wrote:

Oh I agree.

But it is relevant to the remark by another poster that it's out of the hands of developers. 

I agree as well, what use is all the programs or apps if the basic functionality keeps the product from being used as the user wants it. I want to leave the PlayBook sitting on my table and view security cameras but the playbook keeping falling asleep. Seems to be a main but basic feature that should have been put in at the very beginning, whoever heard of a computer/tablet/smartphone that could not be used with the features like clock or image viewer as a slideshow. 

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
TroyTempest

There is a very basic browser that is suppposed to stay awake called Backlight Override (£1) which may let you monitor TCPIP cameras

________
Please use plain text.
Contributor
jeffgedgaud

I am not going to pay for an app to keep this thing awake when it should be a functional part of the tablet. I am reviewing this and only want to try out apps that would be useful for the other products I have like the Logitech alert cameras I already have. The app from Logitech works great on the Playbook but it shuts off after five minutes so the tablet deserves a downcheck in rating due to lack of a general function that it should have.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Static
My Device: Curve 9380 / Playbook
My Carrier: Orange

This is really annoying.

I'm a BB user since 2008 and never give up on RIM.

But this is really a bad decision. 

I want to use my Playbook as a GPS device and cannot do that because i have to touch the screen every 5 minutes in order not to close it self.

What's so **bleep** hard to GIVE THE OPTION TO THE USER to set the time-out to 1H??

I mean...wtf? Can't you just put the option there?

Please use plain text.