Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
p666orn
My Carrier: O2

Standby Time-Out - Playbook Useless!

Hi

I have only owned my Playbook for 6 days now and have found the Standby-timeout setting to be a real problem!! Am I the only one who has this issue??

Basically the problem I have is if you are on the internet listening to the radio the audio will stop running (after 5 minutes) until you take the device out of standby mode which the audio will then resume. I have found this to be the case no matter what site you are on and also happens when you are in applications I downloaded from the app world. This is a real annoyance and renders the device useless for me as I watch alot of online videos and listen to alot of online music.

I have called the Tech support number for BB and have been told that there is no way to turn this option off. Nor does it look like there will be a fix to this problem in the future!!

I am running OS version: 1.0.6.2390 (which i beleive to be the latest)

Am I the only one who finds this to be a big problem, surely such a reputable company like RIM would have seen this a a massive flaw in there device!! A quick coding change surely is all that is required to allow end users to turn the Stand-by off. I dont care about "saving battery life" It came with a charger!

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,756
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Standby Time-Out - Playbook Useless!

No, you're not the only one, and believe me it has been mentioned many times.

There needs to be a setting in the OS for longer time outs, OR the developer needs to build one into the application, perhaps.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
p666orn

If everyone has this problem then surely they should do as you have suggested as the device is kinda useless if you can only use it for 5 minutes at a time maximum!!

Well mine will be going back to the shop and I'll be getting an ASUS Transformer instead!

Shame cause I really have liked everything else about the Playbook.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

Well, it certainly doesn't make it totally useless... at all.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
p666orn

Well it is useless if you are trying to watch streaming video online or streaming audio from sites if the device turns off every 5 minutes! like i have mentioned in my previous post this is what i wanted mainly to use the playbook for and why many others have then made the same observation. surely rim should be taking note and working to resolve such a flawed concept!

Please use plain text.
JSanders

I hope they are!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
vtc2002
My Carrier: Sprint

My Playbook does not go into Standby Time Out when I am playing/watching a Podcast. It seems that it is merely a OS Setting that can be corrected with a upgrade. I also find it annoying but the Playbook has a lot of other features that I personally find superior to other tablets on the market.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
chrispycrunch
My Carrier: Rogers

There's a thread somewhere here on how to make the product better. Be sure to add or re-enforce this ask there.

I use slacker radio and it doesn't turn off. Same with playing the media app. Well...the screen blacks out but it still plays.
-----------
Chris --- http://www.twitter.com/chrispycrunch
-----------
Please use plain text.
JSanders

And thus, that's why I think it is a developer's application setting that controls that.

For instance my wife uses an audo book reader app (I don't even know the name of it) which when PB times-out, stops the audio. She doesn't like that.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
gflogic
My Carrier: Telus

I agree, this is a MAJOR flaw! I have just ordered 3 playbooks for my agents to tether them with their BlackBerry phones. My agents are supposed to be on call and log in to a website and stay connected to this website while they're out of the office.

However, after 5 mins the playbooks go to standby mode which has for effect to turn off the Internet connection and to log them out of that website.

If this timeout issue isn't solved soon, I will have to return the playbooks. Too bad, because other than that it's a good product.

Please use plain text.