Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Regular Contributor
lloydswan7
My Device: BlackBerry Playbook 32GB

Re: Still unable to Back up Playbook!

I set my own weather site up works good

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
godot2011
My Device: PlayBook 32GB and PlayBook 16GB

As I said before, backing up the PB should not neccesitate workarounds. RIM should fix this problem.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
RevRob
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800

I had the same issue ... not being able to back-up my PlayBook through Blackberry Desktop Manager. I uninstalled the PC Recipe Box app and then was able to back-up everything!

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
godot2011
My Device: PlayBook 32GB and PlayBook 16GB

I do not have PC Recipe Box on my PC! My wife does the cooking. I still can not back up.
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

godot2011, it sounds like if you have the identical symptoms as those of us who could not back up because of the Recipe Box app, you probably just have another app that triggers this.

Someone who is in that situation could help solve the whole issue by slowly uninstalling apps in groups, maybe 4-5 at a time, and either restarting or pausing for 10+ minutes after each batch is uninstalled, then re-attempting the backup. At some point, you'll probably be able to back up again, at which point you could add back in the batch which contained the likely culprit. (You need the restart or the delay, with the restart being "safer", as I showed earlier with my experiments with Recipe Box.)

It's of course not certain that "bad" apps are the only cause of this, but it's starting to seem likely that it's the cause of the problem when you have the exact same symptoms mentioned for the Recipe Box app.

Knowing two apps which both cause this problem would make it very likely we'd be able to identify the commonality between them, and figure out the root cause behind this.

It's not easy to do this, but at least Darren already did the really hard part, giving us the absolute proof that this single app is somehow responsible for the problem in many cases. Knowing with certainty that a single app can cause this in many cases, merely by being installed, makes it much easier to narrow it down to whatever other apps are likewise responsible in other cases.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
New Developer
Cookie_Monster
My Device: 9800/Playbook

Simply uninstalling the PC Recipe App may not fix it. you also should perform a restart right after uninstalling that App.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

As I noted earlier, uninstalling and immediately attempting a backup will likely not result in any success, but waiting a while appears to allow time for the "housekeeping" jobs to run, which will then clean up the leftovers and allow backup to work. Doing a restart has the same effect and is obviously a more controlled way to do it, though possibly more intrusive for some.

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

See my note here about how the issue can be seen in more than one app, possibly involving apps with several thousand files.  http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-PlayBook/Playbook-will-not-Back-up/m-p/1496059#M21...

It may not be sufficient to uninstall Recipe Box if you have some other app like that.  The "on-device maps" apps are likely culprits as well, at least if you've let them cache a lot of map tiles.

Please use plain text.
f2
Contributor
f2
My Device: Playbook

As Peter and I have discussed elsewhere, I have had this problem on and off since June. Finally, I did a Security Wipe and was able to backup using DM again. I did 3 successful backups as I was reinstalling apps. Then I had a failure. I believe I have traced it to France-on-device gps app. I uninstalled it and was able to do a backup. I installed it and was able to do a backup. But once I ran it, I failed with backups again. I uninstalled and was able to backup. In the meantime, they came out with an update. Installed and was able to backup. But once I ran it again, I was not able to do a backup. I have installed/UNinstalled it enough to be pretty sure that it is involved in some fashion. I do not really blame that app. As I would expect either the pb or Desktop Manager to be able to filter out errors from apps or errors with indexes/counters/whatever. Obviously, something the apps do as they run may create issues but RIM's software on the pb or DM should be able to catch such issues and prevent them. I am hoping that this additional info will help pin down the problem.
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

Another CrackBerry user has confirmed his non-backup situation changed immediately to success with backing up after he cleared the cache for the offline maps app he had installed: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-playbook-f222/unable-backup-application-data-desktop-manager...

So far either Recipe Box or the offline maps can prevent backup.  Please post any others you identify and let us know when you've succeeded.

Please use plain text.