Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook(s) 32GB

Re: Still unable to Back up Playbook!

Glad it worked for you, Peter.  I think it's related to the compression algorithm used when writing the .bbb backup file.  Watching the backup directory with Windows Explorer you can see a large temporary dump file (.dtmp) shrinking in size and the actual backup file growing in size.  That PC Recipe app makes it choke somehow.  In any case, the error msg thrown is not even remotely helpful; the problem is not caused by a poor connection between Playbook and computer.  Nothing wrong with your USB hardware, folks! :smileyhappy:

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Several notes:

1. I wouldn't blame the people who wrote the Recipe Box app, at least not yet. Very likely they've done nothing which anyone would have known was wrong, and it's just a fluke that it's triggering some problem in the backup subsystem.

2. At least one fellow in the #playbook-dev IRC channel on Freenode.net says he just completed a backup successfully with the Recipe Box app installed, so it's not a 100% consistent thing.

3. Another fellow noticed that the package id for that app is extremely long compared to most of them. It's actually 68 characters long. Possibly that has something to do with it, though I made a quick test with an even longer package id and it didn't prevent the backup in the same way. Just random speculation based on an unusual trait.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Forums Advisor III
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 + Z30 + Playbook 64
My Carrier: Rogers

Dillan88 wrote:

Glad it worked for you, Peter.  I think it's related to the compression algorithm used when writing the .bbb backup file.  Watching the backup directory with Windows Explorer you can see a large temporary dump file (.dtmp) shrinking in size and the actual backup file growing in size.  That PC Recipe app makes it choke somehow.  In any case, the error msg thrown is not even remotely helpful; the problem is not caused by a poor connection between Playbook and computer.  Nothing wrong with your USB hardware, folks! :smileyhappy:

I have the PC Recipe app, and I can make backup, all I had to do was to debrick the Playbook using the Desktop Manager, I even re-install the PC Recipe app before starting any backup

---------------------------------------------
Using the Playbook and the Z10 and the Z30 and loving them

Martin
Visitor
My Device: Play book

Finally able to perform full backup and an update to OS 2.XX.

Background:

- I had the very same problem, was unable to perform full backup, failing around 300MB.

- Had 3.2 GM on PB.

Solution:

- Deleted all unnessary content, e.g. triped all downloaded applications to minimum.

- Manually copied all media (PDFs, MP3, etc)

- Restarted PB, BB desktop manager and computer, to ensure everything is fresh.

- Backedup only settings first, that worked then performed full backup.

--

Super Contributor
My Device: PlayBook 32GB and PlayBook 16GB
My Carrier: DCI Telecom

OK boys and girls, I have posted this problem at least twice, I tried all suggestions above and for all that effort I managed to back up my settings once. After that never again.....

While my PB is generally free of many problems others are having, it will not back up. Also there is no way that you should go through some of the multi-step processes described here to back up your device. RIM should fix this bug at some point. As for now there are so many issues with this device that it is really not a high priority. I just wish that someone from RIM would stand up and say "OK we know we have a problem, we will fix it."
New Contributor
My Device: playbook - 32GB
My Carrier: none

Same issue here. Originally, back in May, had problem of backing up only to about 95%... then all was OK for a couple of months... now I get the cryptical error message re connection...
Forums Advisor III

roger333 wrote:
Same issue here. Originally, back in May, had problem of backing up only to about 95%... then all was OK for a couple of months... now I get the cryptical error message re connection...

I fixed my problem by debricking it (re-installing the OS), using the Desktop Manager, it took some time but since it work perfectly

Martin
Contributor
My Device: Z10; 16GB Playbook
My Carrier: Telus

I'm having the same issue; can't backup up the Application Data portion of the playbook.  The other 2 parts (media and settings) backup just fine.  I get the error "There could have been a problem with the device or connection during the backup. Verify that the device is turned on and connected" after about 30 seconds.  I get the same error on 2 different computers!  I can backup my Curve 9300 on both computers no problem.

I've even tried a playbook restart while connected to the desktop manager; changing the files to shared on the playbook and have the most up to date software on both the computer and playbook.

Looking for a solution!

thanks

Contributor
My Device: Bold - 9700
My Carrier: Roshan

Make a note of the programs you've installed that you really want.  Then turn off your PB, plug it in, reset it, and enjoy a couple of days of reinstalling.

Forums Advisor III

philipt wrote:

I'm having the same issue; can't backup up the Application Data portion of the playbook.  The other 2 parts (media and settings) backup just fine.  I get the error "There could have been a problem with the device or connection during the backup. Verify that the device is turned on and connected" after about 30 seconds.  I get the same error on 2 different computers!  I can backup my Curve 9300 on both computers no problem.

I've even tried a playbook restart while connected to the desktop manager; changing the files to shared on the playbook and have the most up to date software on both the computer and playbook.

Looking for a solution!

thanks

For some reason, we can not backup application data, and that is since the Playbook went on sales in April

Martin